Guest MonkeySee

Closing the Barn Door After the Horse is Gone

Guest MonkeySee

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet on Wednesday also endorsed the draft law to protect international airports which would empower the airports' security officers to disperse intruders who are also subjected to penalties.

The penalties are up to Bt10,000.

Deputy Suvarnabhumi Airport director Wing Commander, Prateep Wichittoe, said that the draft law would cover all international airports across the nation. Without the law, the airports' officers have no authority to disperse the intruders and the job falls on police officers.

"The law is for civil cases," he said. "Criminal cases would be handled by other laws including the anti-terrorism one."

The law was proposed following the seizure of Suvarnabhumi Airport for 8 days in November and December, which severely rocked the confidence of investors and tourists. The seizure followed a similar episode witnessed by Phuket and Hat Yai airports.

-- The Nation 2009-01-28

I do not get it! You mean to tell me, there was not already a law in place making it illegal for people to block the use of an international airport?

Guest fountainhall
The penalties are up to Bt10,000

I can never understand why fines in Thailand are so low. If 3,000 politlcal protestors are determined to block the airport and cause billions in losses, is a 30 million Baht fine going to stop them? Highly unlikely. It almost invites trouble. If the fine was Bt. 100,000, perhaps I could understand.

Guest MonkeySee
I can never understand why fines in Thailand are so low. If 3,000 politlcal protestors are determined to block the airport and cause billions in losses, is a 30 million Baht fine going to stop them? Highly unlikely. It almost invites trouble. If the fine was Bt. 100,000, perhaps I could understand.

A 10,000 baht fine is probably a lot to the typical Thai political protestor.