Guest shebavon

Google Maps Can Now Track YOU!

Guest shebavon

Not quite sure I want to count myself in.

This, from the Huffington Post.

Google Maps Can Now Track People.

Google Maps Can Now Track People

MICHAEL LIEDTKE | February 4, 2009 10:00 AM EST | AP

SAN FRANCISCO

Guest Astrrro

I just upgraded last night and was goofing around. I could actually see the small swimming pool at my Pattaya apartment. Pools are easier to identify than buildings.

I'm still trying to get the hang of it such as pinpointing a coordinate and emailing it to friends.

Google's motto is "do no evil" but it took an extremely tech saavy friend hours to remove an unwanted Google toolbar.

The new software to be released Wednesday will enable people with mobile phones and other wireless devices to automatically share their whereabouts with family and friends.

And bosses, supervisors, and anyone else in a position to require you to make your whereabouts known any time they want to check up on you. I don't think I would want to be on that tight a leash or give up my privacy as to wherever I choose to go.

I can just picture it. You take a "mental health" day from work. You tell the boss you're going to your doctor. Just what you need . . . the boss tracking you right into the adult book store.

Talk about Big Brother watching! Now anybody can be watching! This is progress? You can have it. They might be trying to make it sound like something positive and fun, but I sure don't see it that way.

The only personal advantage I can see for something like this is if I find myself in some sort of emergency situation it would be easy for someone to locate me, assuming I can get to the mobile phone and activate whatever it is that needs to be activated. Other than that, I can't come up with any reason at all why I would want anyone else to know where I am.

I also doubt it would make a hit with the Thai boys. For those of you who can understand some Thai, have you ever noticed how often they call each other and the first thing they do is ask, "Where are you?" This little device would use up half their conversation . . .

In any case, unless someone comes up with a very convincing reason to let people track your whereabouts, include me out.

Guest shebavon

Truckers in the US have been kept on such a short leash thru GPS for a long time now.

This really smells of Big Brother.

And to think it all started with random drug checks by employers.