Guest MonkeySee

Women in Kenya Treated Like Property

Guest MonkeySee

I knew women in some Arab states are treated like property, but did not realize that Kenya had similiar values.

KISII, 29 December 2008 (PlusNews) - At the age of 17, Caroline Mwita, from Kisii town in southwestern Kenya, has already had four husbands. She talked to IRIN/PlusNews about her first-hand experience of wife inheritance, a traditional practice in western Kenya.

"I met my future husband when I was around 13 years old and I went to Kisii town to live with my father, who worked there as a watchman.

"We talked [she and her future husband] and he told me that he was working in one of the supermarkets as a loader, and we started going out.

"I managed to convince him that I should finish my primary schooling before we could marry. Unfortunately, before I could even sit for my final primary education exam, I became pregnant and we decided to get married.

"After only one year, my husband died. He had been sick on and off but I did not expect him to die that soon. After the burial, I was told that I would be inherited and I was scared, because the man who would inherit me was old enough to be my father.

"I had no choice but to do as they wanted. I could not even go back to my parents because my father [agreed with] these people. All I could do was cry, but I soon got used to it.

"The first man to inherit me died, and our child died soon after birth. And it is then that I realised I was [HIV] positive.

"The second man only stayed for three months and left to inherit another woman. I am now living with the third man to inherit me after my husband's death.

"I do not know whether I got HIV from my husband or from [one of] these men. We have sex without even protection, yet you cannot even tell them a thing.

"It is sad, because somebody is just inheriting you, yet the community gives them complete control over you.

"At times I wish I had listened to my mother, who advised me against getting married early."

Guest shebavon

"I knew women in some Arab states are treated like property, but did not realize that Kenya had similar values."

Unfortunately, women are treated like chattel in most of the Muslim nations of the world. And in Muslim parts of Africa, , where HIV incidence is about the highest in the world, this lady's story has been repeated all to many times.

Guest MonkeySee
Unfortunately, women are treated like chattel in most of the Muslim nations of the world. And in Muslim parts of Africa, , where HIV incidence is about the highest in the world, this lady's story has been repeated all to many times.

It is very sad to think that human rights does not mean much in many parts of the world. Woman in the US would like equal pay as men, but they have really come a long way, baby.

Guest shebavon
It is very sad to think that human rights does not mean much in many parts of the world. Woman in the US would like equal pay as men, but they have really come a long way, baby.

Thank the FSM that they even have their own cigarette now baby.

Still a very long way to go. Still have to achieve pay parity with men. And in much of the world, are forbidden from showing skin, driving cars, and worse.

It's still by and large a Man's World, make that a Christian Straight Man's World.

Guest MonkeySee
It's still by and large a Man's World, make that a Christian Straight Man's World.

That is true in the US, but in the entire world, I am not too sure. With China holding a lot of US debt, and India coming into its own, not to mention the Arab holdings due to their oil, the Christian straight man's world is not going to hold on long.

Guest shebavon

As Thomas Friedman would say, "The future belongs to the nation that develops the newest fuel source".

That may not be an exact quote, but captures the essence of where we are now. Unfortunately, I would have to remove the Arab countries from the list of those who will master that. They are too busy trying to keep us addicted to oil as long as they can.

On that score, I would say our competition on this venture includes China, Japan, India, Israel, Brazil, and the European nations.