babybear2

how is Lagoa during Christmas and new year period

• Members

Expect Christmas Eve and New Year’s  Eve to be (relatively) empty of sauna GPs. One of the saunas normally closes on both of those days and I think both are normally closed on Christmas Day. However, as these days fall on a Friday and Saturday this year, that might change. 

The rest of that time period will be business as usual — not any more or any less crowded than usual in December. 

Some (but not a sizable amount of) Carioca working guys and local clients leave Rio for the holidays to visit family in other parts of the country. 

Rio is insanely busy the couple of days after Christmas thru January...SP, I don't remember standing out at all.  I have burned in my memory to avoid Rio after Christmas, but the 2 weeks before is ideal, no waits and no competition from other customers and all the guys need money to buy gifts, so very willing.....

In a different note, I am contemplating Rio in late February and now I realise that Rio Carnival is scheduled to take place from 25 Feb.  Will things get extremely busy and hotel, Airbnb rates etc go sky high before or during Carnival? I have never been in Rio let alone at the Carnival (and somehow I doubt that I will be really into it, also because I'm no longer partying into the night/mornings).

• Members
3 hours ago, speedoo1 said:

In a different note, I am contemplating Rio in late February and now I realise that Rio Carnival is scheduled to take place from 25 Feb.  Will things get extremely busy and hotel, Airbnb rates etc go sky high before or during Carnival? I have never been in Rio let alone at the Carnival (and somehow I doubt that I will be really into it, also because I'm no longer partying into the night/mornings).

Carnaval is the most expensive hotel / AirBnB time of the year in Rio. If you’re booking just for that period, expect to pay more — a lot more. 

• Members

In defense of Carnaval...

Rio's Carnaval is one of those things to experience once in your life. I saw the grand finale ten years ago and I have great memories of the incredible, over-the-top shows.

Here is my suggestion for minimizing the chaos but seeing the highlight:

Get tickets to see the Winners Parade which is the Saturday after Carnaval technically ends.  This year it will be held March 5th (9pm until about 5am) at the usual venue the Sambodromo.  The beauty of going this night is that you get to see the number one samba school and the five runners-up (and skip the losers). 

https://www.riocarnaval.org/samba-parade/champions-parade

● Pay extra for premium seats; it's worth it. 
● Maybe buy an extra seat since the width on the bench is narrow. 
● Bring thick ear plugs to make the deafening sound system tolerable.
● Get a long afternoon nap in advance of the fantastic night long show.

By this weekend there will still be random, entertaining marches (half of which have lots of drag) in the Copacabana area during the day.

I had an awesome tail end of Carnaval. And the saunas were a blast as usual.

At the same time, like taking the TransSiberian Express, I don't need to do it again, but I'm extremely glad I did it once.