Guest MonkeySee

Man Sentenced to 15 Years in Jail for Killing One in an Aggressive Driving Accident

Guest MonkeySee

BANGKOK: -- Phrakanong Court on Friday sentenced Kanpitak Pachimsawas, 21, son of former Miss Thailand, to 15 years and two months in jail on charges of premeditated-murder due to his aggressive driving which killed one and injured three others.

The penalty was reduced to 10 years and one month as the defendant had already paid some compensation to the injured.

On July 4, 2007, Kanpitak swerved his car into the footpath near a bus-stop where many people were waiting for buses after he got into an argument with the driver of bus number 513, claiming that the bus hit him and fled. One died and three others were injured.

Court ordered Kanpitak, son of Kun-anek and Savinee; former Miss Thailand, to pay compensation to Sangwan Srihawong, for Bt800,000.

Kanpitak's parents indicated he has a mental condition and he cannot control himself when he is under a lot of stress.

-- The Nation 2009-01-30

This seems like a very severe sentence for a traffic accident. They called it premeditated murder? I don't get it.

Guest fountainhall
This seems like a very severe sentence for a traffic accident

I remember when this 'accident' happened. Although I cannot recall all the details, it seemed at the time that he deliberately ran his car into that crowd in a fit of anger; so it was not just a simple 'accident' (although when several people are killed, 'simple' is not the right word). There was a huge outcry because it was assumed the guy would get special treatment as a result of his famous parents. I am glad he got what he deserved.

Guest lvdkeyes
This seems like a very severe sentence for a traffic accident. They called it premeditated murder? I don't get it.

This was no accident, he intentionally drove his car into the people waiting for a bus. If he cannot control his anger he should not have been driving. The sentence is appropriate for the crime. IMHO

Guest GaySacGuy
Kanpitak's parents indicated he has a mental condition and he cannot control himself when he is under a lot of stress.

-- This seems like a very severe sentence for a traffic accident. They called it premeditated murder? I don't get it.

The victums should sue the hell out of the parents for not taking action to prevent this jerk from driving in the first place. "Cannot control himself when he is under a lot of stree"....isn't stress a definition of driving in Bangkok???

This is like driveby shooting in that completely innocent people are killed. 15 years is not enough!!!

Guest laurence

I see this type of road rage behavior so often that I do consider it a premeditated crime, if not murder. More so in the US (and likely other Western countries) where people should know better. In Thailand most drivers just are totally ignorant of anything to do with safe driving.

Guest lvdkeyes
In Thailand most drivers just are totally ignorant of anything to do with safe driving.

My bf told me that when he took his driving test many years ago, it was on Loy Krathong and even though he hit some of the cones on the driving course, the tester passed him because he was in a hurry to go to the temple. I am sure there are many who pass because of a "fee" being paid. Also, there is no driver's education taught in the schools here.

Guest fountainhall
Also, there is no driver's education taught in the schools here

This is pretty obvious from the way people drive here - zero lane discipline, little respect for other drivers, law of the jungle etc.

Guest lvdkeyes
Premeditated murder, to me, is a planned murder. This guy was nuts but I don't think he planned to intentionally kill anyone.

I think it is called reckless homicide.

Guest shebavon
This is pretty obvious from the way people drive here - zero lane discipline, little respect for other drivers, law of the jungle etc.

No rules, Just Right. :p

Seriously, the guy knew when driving into a crowd that he was endangering someone, even though he was in a fit of rage, I will go along with premeditated murder.

I do think this sentence fits the crime.