PeterRS

Yes, Another Top 50 List! This Time Restaurants

Considered the Oscars of Fine Dining, the World's 50 Best Restaurant List has been announced. I know many take these lists with a large pinch of salt, but this one does seem to be especially valid. (Actually the list is not truly the best of the best since some which previously came top of the list have been withdrawn and will be included in a new Best of the Best list).

The top two restaurants are both in Copenhagen. The others are spread around many countries. In Asia, the best is Singapore's Odette, one of two from the city state. Two places lower sees a Cantonese restaurant in Hong Kong's Soho district, The Chairman, which is the highest climber from the last list. Tokyo has three and Shanghai one. Bangkok has one run by German twins, Suhring in Yen Akat Soi 3 (not far from Sathorn).

Suhring has set menus at 3,500 baht and 5,000 baht. But then you have to add in wines, tax and service. There is a very extensive wine list consisting mostly of German wines and few bottles under 2,000 baht. There is however a decent list of a dozen wines by the glass. It's all naturally expensive. There are other considerably less expensive restaurants that i believe offer better value. But for those with cash to splash, Suhring might be worth a try.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/worlds-50-best-restaurants-2021/index.html

https://restaurantsuhring.com

• Members

Suhring looks great! As you said wine by the glass not overpriced.

WINES BY THE GLASS
Vintage 125 ml
SPARKLING
2015 Sekt Riesling Jour Fixe Immich-Batterieberg 420
NV Champagne 7 Crus Agrapart 900
WHITE
O 2016 Riesling Orange Melsheimer 490
O 2018 Chardonnay Bourgogne Blanc Domaine Sextant 700
2015 Grüner Veltliner Single Vineyard Sohm & Kracher 770
2018 Riesling GG Kirchspiel Groebe 820
B 2018 Chassagne Montrachet La Maltroie Bruno Colin (Coravin) 1700
RED
2018 Spätburgunder Iphofer Hans Wirsching 500
B 2017 Blaufränkisch Moric 500
O 2015 Sankt Laurent Dogma, Pittnauer 520
B 2016 Saint-Emilion Emilien Château Le Puy 940
B 2015 Gevrey-Chambertin Ostrea Domaine Trapet (Coravin) 1600
SWEET 75 ml
2017 Riesling Heerkretz Auslese Wagner Stempel 590
B 2013 Maury Op. Nord Terres de Fagayra 1100

2 hours ago, Lonnie said:

As you said wine by the glass not overpriced

Ah, but I did not say that. I merely wrote "There is however a decent list of a dozen wines by the glass." For their quality, those listed wines may not be overpriced. But I think they are indeed overpriced compared to wines offered by the glass in some other high end restaurants of roughly similar quality. But I suppose it's horses for courses.