TotallyOz

Brazil, Argentina, or Spain

I am considering a new home base. I am pretty flexible but looking for a good gay nightlife at times and the ease of hooking up. But, more important is the availability of Western amenities. I have been to all three countries many times but never for more than 2 months. Any suggestions?

Hard for me to advise given that I have only visited each country twice and for considerably shorter than 2 months. Although I would be happy to visit Brazil and Argentina again several times, as a European I love Spain, its people, its food, its amazing history, its art and architecture etc. Not being into western guys, I did not get much from Spain's gay life - apart from a totally unexpected meeting with a stunning young Asian guy from Singapore and one from Guangzhou in Barcelona! But  there were Asians on the apps and so I know I would not starve!

I would choose Spain partly because of the huge variety of other amazing countries I could get to in little more than an hour or two. From the little French villages, to the chateaux on the Loire, to the amazing Renaissance hill towns in Italy and the joys of its art in the main cities, Germany's Romantic Road - even the pubs and Cathedrals in England. Extend the flight by another couple of hours and the glories of Russia (forget Putin and his homophobic laws for a few weeks) and then go up beyond the Arctic Circle to see the Northern Lights (a trip when I met up with a young Asian couple travelling around by car!). 

• Members
7 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

I am considering a new home base. I am pretty flexible but looking for a good gay nightlife at times and the ease of hooking up. But, more important is the availability of Western amenities. I have been to all three countries many times but never for more than 2 months. Any suggestions?

Coming from SE Asia, go to Brazil. The transition will be easier, and you will be right in between Argentina and Spain.

21 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

Stay in Thailand

Ok, tell us more.

How did you come up with this list? Why? What do you want most? Why just those countries? Why not mexico or chile?

Since you have the ability, I'd consider longer stays in each and then decide. Me, I'd go for Spain among those. Because while sexy time might run a bit more, you have the full benefit of an EU country. Food's great all three places.

4 hours ago, caeron said:

How did you come up with this list? Why? What do you want most? Why just those countries? Why not mexico or chile?

From the little I know of TotallyOz and his previous postings, he knows South America extremely well and would clearly be happy in Brazil and Argentina. Importantly there is an abundance of sex in Brazil - not so sure about Argentina, but I assume so. Similarly in Spain, at least in the main cities and with the apps probably everywhere. On the other hand, if the primary reason for leaving Thailand is the government's treatment of foreigners, I'm pretty sure there will be quite a number of other reasons why the governments of those three countries would end up leaving him with similar sorts of feelings for one reason or another over the long run.

But then a home base is not a lifetime base. Any of those countries could make a thoroughly enjoyable base for a few years, after which a longing for Thailand and the boys here may well re-emerge. In fact, I'd put money on it LOL!

Admittedly, I do sometimes get frustrated with the Thai government and its decisions. However, it is an amazing place to live. I love it here. That said, I have been living here full-time for six years. I have been living at least six months a year here for almost 20 years. I think it is time to find a new home base. I'm getting old I would just like some new experiences. I have been around the world and some of my Favorite cities are either in Brazil, Argentina, Spain, and Paris. Notice I didn't say France. I just love Paris. Probably my favorite city on earth. Bangkok has always been a very close second. I think most of you know that the long-term boyfriend and I broke up about two or three years ago. That was about the time I should have moved. It may be time now. We are still best friends. Actually, he's helping me out for four months as I just got out of surgery. But, he is not a long-term anything at this point. I don't know that I need a long-term anything. It is nice. It is fine. But, the older I get the last time I say all I need to be with someone all the time.

I love having access to nice apartments, Fast Internet, and easy to access goods from the USA. I'm pretty flexible. I almost moved to Amsterdam many years ago when my friend Hooboy died. He had a two bedroom apartment right at the corner of two canals. I was going to rent the apartment and let his boyfriend stay there. However, the landlords back down of renting in the place. The reason for that is they would get more money from the estate. I always wish that apartment had come through. I think I would be there till today. I still visit there on a regular basis ant it would be easily live there as well. But, I do like hot weather. Maybe that's why Brazil is attractive to me. There are many places in Brazil and Argentina and Spain that I could live in. Barcelona as always one of my favorite destinations. Rio de Janeiro is a place that I absolutely love. However, I find myself going crazy there by spending too much money I am boys, parties, and saunas. I did that years ago with Thailand but I have learned to calm down my need to party. I think that Rio de Janeiro would probably be a good place.

No decision has been made yet. I just had hey surgery in Thailand I  love the medical care I receive here. It is safe, affordable, and amazingly reliable. The boyfriend from before is going to help me with some things that I will be unable to do for a while.

Now that u mention your term boyfriend who still took care of you in thailand, i think that is one thing that i noticed early on when comparing asian culture and western culture. Older generation are greatly respected in asia. We give our money to our parents, grandparents, so your ex taking care of you while very sweet, not unheard of here. Itll be very hard to find retirement housing or community in malaysia, and i bet in thailand too, except for those catered for expats/foreigners as most of the parents/grandparents, live with their kids/grandkids. There are house by the goverment for those who needs it but its not a norm. 

Now, im not sure about spain, argentina nor brazil about this culture. Money speaks everywhere though, so as long as u have them, im sure its not an issue hehe.

• Members

My 2 cents @TotallyOz: Spain.

My preference for a city, based on numerous visits and long stays, is Barcelona for the great mix of culture, amenities, healthcare and easy access to other countries. My second choice is the Balearic Islands; I have a place in Palma de Mallorca which I love visiting but I wouldn’t choose the small city as a main base. 

I’ve also visited Argentina often and spent more than a year there. The culture is very interesting but I find nothing works easily there. Healthcare is very good assuming you can pay for the private hospitals. I find the level of “insecurity” (as locals term violence and street-crime) disturbing even tho I was never robbed there. There are a lot of attractive young men who like older men…but they like to talk a lot and have to be persuaded into bed. Brazil is much easier if you want companions.