TotallyOz

Cell Phone Data forces Bishop Resignation

1 hour ago, TotallyOz said:

This is fascinating as we know these companies sell our data to others. A truly must read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2021/07/20/bishop-misconduct-resign-burrill/

nothing fascinating , rather very sad. Big Brother working overtime, a bit past 1984 but catching up very fast.

What's next? somebody will be brought down because it will be revealed he is contributing to Gayguides forum ?

I sometimes wonder who is to blame in such situations. If I as an individual post information about myself on Grindr or some other app, especially if there are photos or other information that could pinpoint me as the poster, I do not expect that to be kept a secret in this day and age. We have all seen plenty of examples where so called private information is revealed to others. There was one very similar situation 2 or 3 years back. Now 54, David Daniels was one of the finest opera singers in the world, having appeared in virtually all the major opera houses. He was a counter tenor with that high mostly developed falsetto range that has been coming back into fashion over the last 40 or so years, particularly in performance of barque operas. The US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg had officiated when he married his partner. 

A tenured Professor of Vocal Studies at the University of Michigan, he was caught on one of the apps like Grindr where he had met up with several  students who had each been asked to give him blow jobs for which they'd be paid something like $200. Sexual hook-ups with students is a no-no at almost all Universities. He was placed on Administrative leave. Soon he was being accused of drugging and raping of a young man whilst he was in Houston for a performance. That case is going to Court. Last year the University fired him.

For anyone who does not know the counter tenor voice or David Daniels this is a short clip from a recording session about 10 years ago. A huge talent now all but destroyed, almost certainly through no one's fault but his own.

4 hours ago, PeterRS said:

If I as an individual post information about myself on Grindr or some other app, especially if there are photos or other information that could pinpoint me as the poster, I do not expect that to be kept a secret in this day and age

That's why I think news about death of bars , saunas and even street trade may be a bit premature

I guess for this specific case, the bishop is using the apps inside his church office and his church owned residence, hence they are able to tie the phone to the app data that is made available for purchase. He is part of the team that were supposed to be in charge of sexual conduct issues for the church. For general public like us, i do think we dont need to worry about this kind of witch hunt. 

3 hours ago, spoon said:

I guess for this specific case, the bishop is using the apps inside his church office and his church owned residence, hence they are able to tie the phone to the app data that is made available for purchase. He is part of the team that were supposed to be in charge of sexual conduct issues for the church. For general public like us, i do think we don't need to worry about this kind of witch hunt. 

you are right but there's always danger of being by-product of witch hunt targeted at somebody else. True , some people are very nonchalant using their employers  devices and e-mails and as PeterPS mentioned above , own their misery to themselves.

He is, in fact, a Monsignor, not a bishop, though that's kind of a side point.

My sympathy for gay priests is limited given the church's long standing antipathy towards us.

Priests have to come to terms with the fact that they are working for an organization that considers them broken, at best.  You're breaking the stupid rules of your stupid organization and you can expect they will kick you back downstairs when they find out.

On 7/22/2021 at 7:00 PM, flguy said:

There was once a catholic priest who was a member elsewhere many years ago...could this be him?

I am not sure to which priest you night be referring. There was one English gay bar owner in the early 2000s who had been a lay member of the Church of England with, I believe, some title or other. But I do not think he had ever been outed. He lived in Bangkok running his X-treme bar in Soi Twilight. I recall he had the most lovely student boyfriend.

On 7/22/2021 at 7:29 PM, vinapu said:

That's why I think news about death of bars , saunas and even street trade may be a bit premature

The bars in Thailand all have CCTV, so if they really wanted to I guess the authorities could see what some of us get up to.