PeterRS

What Happened to the Censors?

For years Thailand has mandated a transmission delay of around 5 minutes for news programmes on CNN, BBC World News and presumably other channels. This is to give the censors time to blank screens whenever any issue about Thailand embarrassing to the government is aired. Today, though, the BBC News at 08:00 and 09:00 carried a reasonably long piece on the Bangkok protests yesterday which saw the police use of water canons, rubber bullets and tear gas. The demonstration was to protest the government's disastrous covid19 response and to seek the resignation of the Prime Minister. The rally was held despite the ban on assemblies of more than 5 people in Bangkok.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/politics/2150783/police-fire-water-cannon-rubber-bullets-tear-gas-at-protesters

I can't imagine that anyone seeing these scenes will be considering returning for visits to Thailand any time soon.

4 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I can't imagine that anyone seeing these scenes will be considering returning for visits to Thailand any time soon.

I'd avoid Myanmar based on news reports.   

However, the Thai problems seem to be more localized protests, which have been going on and off for years.  All the traveler has to do is avoid the area where the protests are occurring.   Even when the protests involved occupying the airport, as back in 2008, just fly somewhere else.

The time to worry or adjust travel plans would be when they have widespread conflict.

7 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I arrived in Bangkok a few days after the 2008 airport closing. The flight from Narita was full and the lines at immigration were normal--long.

I've been in Bangkok while the red shirts occupied Lumphini Park and battled government forces.

A few blocks down Silom Rd. it was business a usual.

Tourists are a much hardier lot than might be imagined.

20 minutes ago, reader said:

I arrived in Bangkok a few days after the 2008 airport closing.

When that happened, my flight was cancelled 4 days before departure.    I immediately went to Skyscanner and booked a flight to Singapore.    I visited Singapore, Malaysia, Cambodia and Thailand on that trip.