Lonnie

Celebrating Trans Men Who Give Birth

• Members

Midwifery magazine shares gorgeous cover celebrating trans men who give birth

Midwifery magazine celebrates trans men who give birth

The Practising Midwife's May issue celebrated trans fathers. (The Practising Midwife/Lauren Rebbeck)

A British midwifery magazine has shared an incredible cover that shows that, yes, trans men can give birth – and you bet it ticked off transphobes.

In a cover designed by illustrator Lauren Rebbeck for its 24th volume in May, The Practising Midwife emphatically said that trans men who give birth are “amazing”.

Part of the magazine’s Normal Birth series, the cover features a trans Black man after giving birth to a baby as his partner looks on in pride. His fist raised in the air, showing a rainbow tattoo with the words “right on” underneath.

Of course, because their hobby is hate, the cover quickly became the target of transphobic Twitter trolls and anti-trans pressure groups.

After The Practising Midwife shared a roundup of some of its recent covers in June, it abruptly entered the radar of a cavalcade of anti-trans Twitter accounts who decided to focus their collective efforts on attacking a… midwifery magazine.

This being from the same group who have previously assailed a mental health charity for, er, proudly standing up for trans rights.

But the magazine refused to be buffeted by the pile-on and issued a statement on Twitter on Monday (28 June), proudly coming out swinging for trans rights.

“We are committed to representation at all levels and also to ensuring that our publications provide a safe space for all birthing people and maternity care workers to learn, care and share with one another,” it read.

We are committed to representation at all levels and also to ensuring that our publications provide a safe space for all birthing people and maternity care workers to learn, care and share with one another. We do not welcome or invite any commentary that compromises these values.

— ThePractisingMidwife (@TPM_Journal) June 28, 2021

“We do not welcome or invite any commentary that compromises these values.”

And readers and fans alike agreed. Countless trans folk, allies, community leaders and activist groups praised the cover as “beautiful” and for its unbridled ability to rankle transphobes.

21 minutes ago, Lonnie said:

Taking my life in my own hands and exposing my deep ignorance I have a basic question... Why would a woman want to become a man and then proceed have a baby?

Why would 2 gay men wants to adopt/find surrogate for baby as well?

13 hours ago, spoon said:

Why would 2 gay men wants to adopt/find surrogate for baby as well?

That's simple. They want to have a family. I know two gay couples with surrogate children. In both cases, their children have been wonderfully brought up with obviously a great deal of love.

25 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

That's simple. They want to have a family. I know two gay couples with surrogate children. In both cases, their children have been wonderfully brought up with obviously a great deal of love.

Cant the same be true for transmen? Hehe

• Members
9 hours ago, PeterRS said:

They want to have a family

The more I read and try to understand trans men and trans women the more confusing it becomes. They remain a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

I had mistakenly thought trans men had this surgery to further their goal to achieve being the man they felt they were:

Before having female-to-male gender-affirming surgery, a person will receive testosterone replacement therapy.

They may then undergo one or more of the following types of procedure.

Chest restructuring

A person undergoing surgery to transition from female to male typically has a subcutaneous mastectomy to remove breast tissue. The surgeon will also make alterations to the appearance and position of the nipples.

Meanwhile, testosterone therapy will stimulate the growth of chest hair.

Removal of the uterus, ovaries, and fallopian tubes

A person may wish to undergo this type of surgery if they are uncomfortable having a uterus, ovaries, or fallopian tubes, or if hormone therapy does not stop menstruation.

In a partial hysterectomy, a surgeon will remove only the uterus.

In a total hysterectomy, they will also remove the cervix.

A bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, or BSO, involves the removal of the right and left fallopian tubes and ovaries.

Metoidioplasty

A metoidioplasty is a method of constructing a new penis, or neopenis.

It involves changing the clitoris into a penis. A person will receive hormone therapy before the surgery to enlarge the clitoris for this purpose.

During the procedure, the surgeon also removes the vagina, in a vaginectomy.

In addition, they lengthen the urethra and position it through the neopenis. To achieve the lengthening, the surgeon uses tissues from the cheek, labia minora, or other parts of the vagina. The aim of this is to allow the person to urinate while standing.

Another option is a Centurion procedure, which involves repositioning round ligaments under the clitoris to increase the girth of the penis.

A metoidioplasty typically takes 2–5 hours. After the initial surgery, additional procedures may be necessary.

A Centurion procedure takes approximately 2.5 hours, and removing the female reproductive organs will add to this time.

An advantage of a metoidioplasty is that the neopenis may become erect, due to the erectile abilities of clitoral tissue.

However, a neopenis resulting from a metoidioplasty is often too small for penetrative sex.

Phalloplasty

A phalloplasty uses grafted skin — usually from the arm, thigh, back, or abdomen — to form a neopenis. Doctors consider taking skin from the forearm to be the best optionTrusted Source in penile construction.

Compared with a metoidioplasty, a phalloplasty results in a larger penis. However, this neopenis cannot become erect on its own.

After a period of recovery, a person can have a penile implant. This can allow them to get and maintain erections and have penetrative sex.

During a phalloplasty, the surgeon performs a vaginectomy and lengthens the urethra to allow for urination through the penis.

Disadvantages of a phalloplasty include the number of surgical visits and revisions that may be necessary, as well as the cost, which is typically higher than that of a metoidioplasty.

Scrotoplasty

A person may decide to have a scrotoplasty — the creation of a scrotum — alongside a metoidioplasty or phalloplasty.

In a scrotoplasty, a surgeon hollows out and repositions the labia majora to form a scrotum and inserts silicone testicular implants.

With other FTM surgeries...but it seems many trans men are keeping their uteruses. Statistics are near impossible to find as to numbers.

The trans man in this case had his eggs frozen before undergoing hormone treatment though they say many time eggs remain healthy even after hormone treatment pregnancy can occur naturally when fertilized. What is unclear did the wife remain intact with penis and testicles in order to impregnate her husband?

If the man has a uterus and the woman has a penis... doesn't that make their claims of being a man and women more difficult?

I assure you I'm not a transphobe in any way.. I just want to understand better and it seems some subjects are too delicate to discuss rationally. Can anyone explain the facts and nuances to me?

I fully respect trans people and always use the wished for pronouns and give them proper respect they deserve as I do anyone else.

An episode of south park about this very topic sums up nicely your confusion although its more on transwomen. (season 9 episode 1). I also watched one interviews about 3 singaporeans, 1 is a lesbian transwomen, second is a transmen, and last is a binary. I feel your confusion too and am still learning about this whole gender identity and pronouns hehe. 

• Members
2 hours ago, spoon said:

sums up nicely your confusion

What's extra frustrating is that I've posed this or quite similar questions on sites that supposedly specialize in trans issues and have never received an adequate answer.

I thought since many very bright guys post here I'd ask the question on this site...maybe I'll have to rely on the South Park episode you mentioned. :unsure: :D

12 hours ago, Lonnie said:

What's extra frustrating is that I've posed this or quite similar questions on sites that supposedly specialize in trans issues and have never received an adequate answer.

I thought since many very bright guys post here I'd ask the question on this site...maybe I'll have to rely on the South Park episode you mentioned. :unsure: :D

Dont count on south park though lol but at least ull get a laugh out of it. 

12 hours ago, Lonnie said:

And spoon... in case you don't return to the thread about hunks from eastern Europe, tassojunior has helped us find Darius Ferdynand.

https://pbc.xxx/wiki/Darius_Ferdynand      How nice is that!

Yup read about it. Turns out i already have his IG but cant find him anymore coz he change the name lol