Guest slackersam

Chief Roberts

Does it bother anyone else that the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court apparently doesn't know the Presidential Oath Of Office?

Hell no, not at all. What bothers me is that he does not believe in a women's right to choose, any extension of civil rights, a right to privacy and (from a recent decision) the exclusionary clause in a criminal case.

Guest slackersam

Yes.

There are many ways that he sucks.

But, shit, reciting the oath of office in front of millions of people was his only job yesterday and he fucked that up.

That astounds me.

Yes.

There are many ways that he sucks.

But, shit, reciting the oath of office in front of millions of people was his only job yesterday and he fucked that up.

That astounds me.

Well, the right wing of the court would probably be happier if they got to pick the winner, like they did in 2000. If they keep up their conservative decisions maybe OBama could help out their case load by making the court bigger (from 9 to 11) and appoint some decent judges. That worked for Roosevelt.

Guest MonkeySee

I heard today on the news, that Roberts gave the oath a second time to Obama. Some were saying because the word faithful in the oath was said in the wrong order, that Obama was not really president. They did it a second time, just to be on the safe side.

Guest shebavon

I think he was really embarrassed about screwing up. I knew something had gone wrong the first time, and was glad to hear that it was not Obama who had screwed it up.

Happy to hear that they resolved it by doing it over to end any potential controversy. At least we know it was the Lincoln Bible and not a Koran that was used.

Guest GaySacGuy

Roberts most visual act of his term to date...giving Obama the oath...and he screwed it up. Now they have given him the oath again, so that FOX can shut the fuck up about "Were not sure Obama is really the president of the United States"

At least FOX will suffer with the administration, as there boss no longer has a paid for friend in the white house. They will have to get their own talking points with out Bushes help....Same to Rush!!

Guest GaySacGuy

Roberts and Alito are two of Bush's people that will be screwing the US for years to come. Hopefully, Obama will be able to appoint at least two justices, and will appoint very young people that will have long term influence in the court.

If the balance changes at all in the court, it could be catastrophic for several causes.

Guest slackersam

Particularly women's rights. I know that none of us have to deal with abortions and contraception, but I feel bad for our sisters and friends.

Both Presidents Calvin Coolidge and Chester Arthur had to re-take their presidential oaths too, due to some sort of a flub up. Constitutional authorities are saying the slip-up doesn't matter, but most likely everyone is now aware that Obama has taken the oath a second time.

Guest slackersam

The Guardian had an article yesterday saying it didn't really matter that much, that no matter what as of noon he was automatically president even if he was suddenly struck mute.

I'm not sure if they are right, but they have more intellectual weight than CNN or FOX which are the other people discussing the matter.

Guest shebavon
Roberts and Alito are two of Bush's people that will be screwing the US for years to come. Hopefully, Obama will be able to appoint at least two justices, and will appoint very young people that will have long term influence in the court.

If the balance changes at all in the court, it could be catastrophic for several causes.

If the balance changes, it will only be for the benefit of us Lefties. That would be because Obama gets to pick a replacement for one of the far right loons on the court, who most likely will be of the liberal persuasion.

Not being one to hope for someones early demise, I can only hope the Alito, Thomas, Roberts or Scalia decide that it is time to resign. Unfortunately they are all amongst the youngest justices on the court. But we can hope.

Guest Astrrro

I think Chief Justice Roberts is an impressive guy despite presidential oath gaffe. He's an intelligent, articulate guy.

No I don't like right wingers on the court but let's face it, a conservative prez is going to nominate conservative justices. I don't like when lightweights such as Clarence Thomas are nominated.

Guest MonkeySee
Obama can also expand the court.

Not an option in my book. FDR tried to do it and it was a very unpopular topic at that time. I think it would be the same today.

If Obama were to name a new justice, I wonder who it might be? You think he would ever appoint Bill Clinton? I think he would be a good choice if he would accept.

Guest fountainhall
At least we know it was the Lincoln Bible and not a Koran that was used.

I don't find that in the least bit amusing. In fact, given some of the GOP rhetoric durng the election re Obama's middle name, I believe it is in extremely bad taste.

Guest shebavon
I don't find that in the least bit amusing. In fact, given some of the GOP rhetoric durng the election re Obama's middle name, I believe it is in extremely bad taste.

Fount,

I think you misinterpreted the intent. It was actually to belittle the right wingers who spread rumors during the campaign that Barack was sworn into the Senate on a Koran. My apologies for not being more clear.

Guest fountainhall

Obviously my sense of humour lacks something, but I really do not see what is 'fun' about it. I understand a Muslim member of Congress did indeed use the Koran when taking the oath 2 years ago. In the UK, most members of parliament use a copy of the New Testament. If they are Jewish, they can choose the Tanakh. Muslims may use the Koran (but wrapped in an envelope to avoid it being touched my one not of that faith) and Sikhs can use their own holy book.