Guest MonkeySee

Obama's Inaugural Address

Guest MonkeySee

Obama has followed many of Lincoln's ideas and actions, like the train ride to Washington. Lincoln's second inaugural address was one of the best. As Parade says:

One inaugural address, however, still lives in the hearts of all Americans. It was given in 1865 by Lincoln, whose Bible will be used by Obama on Tuesday. Perhaps the greatest speech ever given on American soil, it ends: “With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation’s wounds...to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.’’ Six weeks later, Lincoln was dead, but his words and hopes live on, America’s great legacy on America’s greatest day.

I hope Obama will do well with his inaugural address. Like Lincoln, Obama is a great orator, so I am sure he will do OK.

Guest laurence

In his inaugural address President Obama quoted George Washington referencing his travails in Dec. 1776 at the turning point of the Revolution War at the Battle of Trenton, NJ.

I lived along the Delaware River but a few miles from the crossing by General Washington; walked in the footsteps of his army; stood at the graves of the soldiers who died there. Hopefully the presidency of Obama will mark the turning point of the US for a better future for everyone.

I guess the killjoy around here is me. Many people are acting as if Obama is tantamount to the Second Coming of Jesus, but I'm not buying it. Not yet. I also have the same hopes everyone has, but I don't believe a thing politicians say until they actually do what they say they're going to so. I realize that some are delighted to see Obama take office because they're so sick and tired of 'Dubya," and I count myself in that crowd, but I hope a year from now everyone is just as pleased, if not more pleased, with Obama than they are today. I hope he really does make differences, the right kind. But until he does, I'm still a "we'll see" person.

One thing I do greatly respect and admire about Obama: According to news reports he writes his own speeches. He does collaborate with professional speech writers, but his speeches are primarily his own words and ideas. But inspirational speeches are not enough to satisfy me.

I'm very happy to see Bush go. I'm half surprised he didn't have us in a war with both Iran and North Korea before he left office and I thank goodness he didn't. I also realize that Obama is stuck with the legacy of what Bush did to the country and to the world, but only time will tell just how good a president he turns out to be. I can tell you, though, nobody will be happier than me if he turns out to be the greatest president the USA has ever had. I hope that's what happens.

It will be very interesting to see how Oliver Stone portrays Obama when he gets around to making a movie about him. I just hope that Michael Moore doesn't feel a need to make a movie about him in the middle of his presidency.

Guest laurence

Come on GB, the parade is not even over and your already raining on it! I say that as I sit and watch the events, live on TV.

Actually the drum major of the Gay & Lesbian Band sure looked a lot like GB strutting his stuff. The President and wife gave them a good wave and smile.

Come on GB, the parade is not even over and your already raining on it!

No, I don't believe I'm raining on anything and I wish nothing but the best for Obama and the things he says he will do. I hope as much as anyone that he is able to accomplish everything. But the way I see it, inspirational speeches, promises, and rhetoric mean absolutely nothing. It's accomplishment that counts. I'm the type who prefers to wait until those accomplishments start actually happening before I'm ready to stand up and cheer and view a politician, any politician, as the savior of anything.

I am not among the people who are delighted that now the USA has its first black president. That also means absolutely nothing to me. You know why? Because I don't give a damn about what color he is. I only give a damn about what he will actually accomplish, no matter what color he is.

If I had to select just one USA politician, within my lifetime, for whom I so far have the greatest respect it would be none other than the late Senator William Proxmire. That doesn't mean I don't also have great respect for several others, but Proxmire is still number one on my list. As I said, nobody would be happier than I if eventually I can replace that choice with Obama, but only time will tell that. I reserve my judgment until a year from today. I hope on January 20, 2010 I will also feel thrilled with Obama as president.

Today, my greatest thrill was watching 'Dubya' make his exit.

Guest fountainhall

The most amazing part of the whole evening was Bush's appointee for Chief Justice fluffing the swearing in. How do you make a mistake when it's less than 40 words long??

GB, you're hardly a romantic, that's for sure. Geez, lighten up and recognize the historic event and the palpable pride felt by both blacks (who never had much to be prideful about before) and whites here in the US due to the election of Obama. It's a huge deal here, at least in my opinion, and it merits a lot of hype and hope. Sure, if he doesn't produce, it'll also merit tossing the guy out after 4 years but starting out with a "until you prove it, you don't mean squat to me" attitude is a little cold and hardly hopeful.

Guest laurence
Many people are acting as if Obama is tantamount to the Second Coming of Jesus, but I'm not buying it.

"Oh ye, of little faith", [Jesus to his disciples]

I loved the inauguration, but I must admit I got a kick out of seeing Cheney in a wheelchair. I so wanted to hand him a monocle and ask her to do his Doctor Strangelove routine, as that is what immediately came to mind when I saw him in the chair. If they ever do that movie again, he would be perfect for the part.

Guest Astrrro
I loved the inauguration, but I must admit I got a kick out of seeing Cheney in a wheelchair. I so wanted to hand him a monocle and ask her to do his Doctor Strangelove routine, as that is what immediately came to mind when I saw him in the chair. If they ever do that movie again, he would be perfect for the part.

Cheney in his wheelchair reminded me of the evil Mr Potter from It's A Wonderful Life.

I a big Obama fan but he's been dealt a very bad hand. I hope his best is good enough.

I always liked Proxmire too. One line from Obama's speech reminded me of the Wisconsin senator, something like, "it's not about big government or small government, but rather a government that works". Proxmire was a pragmatist that wanted efficiency rather than nine thousand dollar toilet seats.

I must admit I got a kick out of seeing Cheney in a wheelchair.

What a perfect editorial cartoon that would make. A drawing of Cheny in the wheelchair with a caption that says, "What the Bush administration did to America."

Geez, lighten up and recognize the historic event

But I do recognize the historic event. I don't deny the significance of the event. And I do hope he is able to get things turned around. All I'm really saying is that I don't trust any politician or anything the government says until it actually happens. Hope is one thing. Trust is another. Don't get me wrong. I am an Obama supporter. We've heard the talk. Now I'm looking for the action.

David Niven (Miller): "You don't trust anyone, do you?"

Anthony Quinn (Stavros): "That is why I have lived so long."

- The Guns of Navarone

Guest shebavon

Khor Tose, I must confess that I had a similar reaction. Somehow it was a metaphor for the Bush presidency, since he pretty much ran it. Divine Justice?

As to the rest of the topic, I have been saying it for a year, when Obama speaks, my dick gets hard. He just strokes me with his words. And for most of the primary season I was a Hillary Man.

I too am skeptical of how much he will actually deliver, and how much he will be capable of changing.

His early actions are heartening. Particularly his announcement of closing Gitmo. That national embarrassment. His appointments to cabinet posts are also reasons for optimism. And I particularly like his words on how he will spend the next Tarp installment and stimulate the economy through public works projects.

How nice it is to have a President who understands economics and the global warming threat. How nice it is to have a President who will at least try to get us to a post-oil, clean energy future.