Guest lvdkeyes

Excellent movie

Guest lvdkeyes

We went to see Defiance today and it is an excellent movie, a true story about the Jews in Russia during WWII.

At the risk of starting a war here, I will say its depiction of how the Jews were treated gives a better understanding of the "defiance" of the Jews in Gaza. I can see why they are reacting to Hamas the way they are. OK, blast away!!!

Guest laurence
At the risk of starting a war here, I will say its depiction of how the Jews were treated gives a better understanding of the "defiance" of the Jews in Gaza. I can see why they are reacting to Hamas the way they are. OK, blast away!!!

Yes,, hopefully not a war or words as takes place on Baht-Stop when trying to have a rational discussion of a complex subject. Will try to see this movie.

Yes,, hopefully not a war or words as takes place on Baht-Stop when trying to have a rational discussion of a complex subject. Will try to see this movie.

The movie is getting very good reviews. On another note I had posted a comment here that I had to go back and erase. Thank you Fountainhall and Shebavon for getting back to a reasonable discussion. I just wish some of those dogmatic queens on Baht stop would try to engage in a discussion. Now all you get from them is statements without facts and ad homonym arguments. I know it is hard thing to do, especially around this complex and emotional issue, but cudos to both of you.

Guest fountainhall
I will say its depiction of how the Jews were treated gives a better understanding of the "defiance" of the Jews in Gaza

Thank you KhorTose. I have not seen the movie, but fully agree that the treatment of Jews throughout many episodes in history must help to shape its national psyche and actions. The pogroms in Russia and other parts of Europe, the discrimination and derision of centuries (e.g. Shylock in "The Merchant of Venice"), to say nothing of the holocaust, must be an ever-present open wound. Israel needs security and peace so that these wounds can more properly heal.

I think it is these wounds, allied with those justifiably felt by the Palestinians and some other Arab nations, that are the root cause of the present problems. If only Israel would let the celebrated international pianist and conductor Daniel Barenboim become its leader, maybe things would improve.

For those not interested in classical music, Barenboim was a piano prodigy, born in Argentina but who emigrated to Israel at the age of 6. Some years ago, appalled at the continuing level of violence and convinced that Israel and Palestine must live at peace with themselves and the surrounding Arab countries, he founded the East-West Divan Youth Orchestra. This is made up of young people from Israel, Palestine, Syria, Egypt, Lebanon and other Middle Eastern countries who meet together annually in Europe and then give the most amazing concerts.

To show his disagreement with Israel's policies, Barenboim has given up his Israeli passport and now travels worlwide on a Palestinian passport. When not rehearsing and performing, that group of youngsters discuss the politics of the region, religion, history and many other issues of the day that separate their leaders. Yet they do so rationally, without the baggage of history and with the aim of creating great music together. Let's hope that the musical aspirations of these young people will eventually affect the political aspirations of their leaders.

Guest shebavon
The movie is getting very good reviews. On another note I had posted a comment here that I had to go back and erase. Thank you Fountainhall and Shebavon for getting back to a reasonable discussion. I just wish some of those dogmatic queens on Baht stop would try to engage in a discussion. Now all you get from them is statements without facts and ad homonym arguments. I know it is hard thing to do, especially around this complex and emotional issue, but cudos to both of you.

Thanks too, for the kind words.

I look forward to seeing this movie, as all I have been hearing are good things about it.

Guest Steve1903

If the Israelis moved back into the territory given to them in the first place then maybe they wouldnt have Palestinians firing rockets at them at all. "Blast away" is a nonsense thing to say.

Guest fountainhall
"Blast away" is a nonsense thing to say.

I think it's perfectly sensible! As lvdkeyes said at the start of his comment, he stated his view "at the risk of starting a war" on this thread. Presumably a war of words!

Guest shebavon
If the Israelis moved back into the territory given to them in the first place then maybe they wouldnt have Palestinians firing rockets at them at all. "Blast away" is a nonsense thing to say.

Two thoughts come to mind on this comment.

1. Suicide is not in their national DNA. That is what such an insane geopolitical move would be. Are you speaking of 1947, 1948, 1967, or 1973 borders? Have you looked at those borders? The earliest two are but 2 miles wide at the most narrow part. The 1947 borders gave the Palestinians the high ground from which they would shell the Jewish villages. Much blood was spilled over this issue.

2. If pigs had wings they would fly. Let's be real about what we are suggesting. What evidence has Hamas shown that they would even accept that offer? Their stated goal is the destruction and dismantling of Israel. Either Hamas is going to follow the PLO and change it's charter in search of peace, or Israel will have no alternative but to wait until the Gazans come up with a negotiating partner. Perhaps the population will turn away from Hamas who brought this disaster on in Gaza, and embrace the PLO.