Guest Astrrro

US Airways Plane Crash Landing In Hudson River

Everyone Survives! Great pilot!!

Geese Got sucked into the engines.

I watched it live on TV. Great landing, strong plane, fast rescue response. Plane was still floating long after all the passengers were off and they were pushing the plane out of the Hudson with tugs.

From now on I will fly A380's and I want that pilot. Even living in Seattle where I am surrounded by Boeing I must admit Europe did a great job with this plane.

Guest fountainhall
Plane was still floating long after all the passengers were off and they were pushing the plane out of the Hudson with tugs. . . From now on I will fly A380's and I want that pilot. E

For the record, it was the much smaller A320. US Airlines are not flying the jumbo A380. One reason it did not sink is because Airbus have on all their planes what is called a "ditch switch". This seals all vents, holes etc. in the event of a water landing. Not sure if Boeing has the same.

I am back in the USA and this has dominated the news.

This also happened in my old neighborhood in Hell's Kitchen. You hear horrible things about New Yorkers all the time, but if you saw the video, they immediately surrounded the plane to assist. They didn't need permission or someone to give an OK. They just acted and went to help. That is New York for you. BTW: you would not get the same friendly reaction if you try to cut line at the Bagel Shop and you might learn a few new words, but New Yorkers are a wonderful and unique group of people!

Guest Astrrro
They didn't need permission or someone to give an OK. They just acted and went to help. That is New York for you.

New Yorkers are quick, so quick that some who just fell off the turnip truck think we're rude.

For example, if some guy comes up to be on the street and slowly asks "pardon me sir, would you please tell me how to get to 49th street and the avenue of the americas" and i'm in a rush, i'm thinking this clown is wasting my time by prefacing his statement with 'pardon me sir, please". just get to the point dude and i'm happy to help you.

one day a guy came up to me on the street and said, "hey man, 28th and lex" and i quickly told him and pointed him in the right direction. i'm thinking this guy gets it, he gets his needs met without wasting seconds of my valuable time.

So it's no surprise that within minutes of the crash there were boats out there. No time to consult with bosses; just do it.

Guest MonkeySee
Everyone Survives! Great pilot!!

Geese Got sucked into the engines.

Everybody did a great job. The pilot and the crew were well trained and did a magnificient job. The passengers stayed somewhat calm and did not panic. New Yorkers were fantastic with the quick rescue job. As for those geese, I am sure they were from a fundamentalist Islamic flock!!

For the record, it was the much smaller A320. US Airlines are not flying the jumbo A380. One reason it did not sink is because Airbus have on all their planes what is called a "ditch switch". This seals all vents, holes etc. in the event of a water landing. Not sure if Boeing has the same.

The published some of the testimony of the pilot and co-pilot today. One thing that came out was that everything happened so fast that no one had time to activate the "ditch switch" that sealed the airplane. This must be some incredible plane, as it was still floating until they pulled it out of the water yesterday. Sorry Boeing, Airbus forever.

Guest CurlyEye

From now on, when the flight attendants give their pre flight speech that begins with, "in the event of a water landing", perhaps more of us will pay particular attention. :)

Also btw, when I see some petite woman of about 5 feet tall and 100 lbs sitting in an exit row while some guy as big and strong as me is crammed in some regular seat because I don't have a platinum or some such frequent flier level it pisses me off, because I know there is no way that chick can handle that exit door as well as someone my size can. All airlines need to use their own good judgment, not take anyone's word for it that they can handle the exit row in the event of an emergency.

Guest GaySacGuy

There was a story on CNN that the people in the exit rows were reading the instructions as the plane was decending, as they hadn't paid any attention before.

I think that rescue companies accross the US would react just as they did in New York. When disaster strikes, units "self dispatch", and then go through the channels.

Guest MonkeySee
There was a story on CNN that the people in the exit rows were reading the instructions as the plane was decending, as they hadn't paid any attention before.

I think I would do the same. I have read those instructions many times but would certainly want to re-read them to make sure I did not forget anything.

Guest GaySacGuy

I can understand the ditch switch not being hit with the time crunch. As said somewere in the news, the check list for this operaton is usually started at or above 15000 feet, and this started at 3000 feet...which gives little time for reading, and more effort needs to be put on manually flying the plane.