Guest lvdkeyes

From US Embassy

Guest slackersam

That's the scary thing.

A lot of these Islamists seem to be essentially part of a nihilistic death cult and knows no boundaries.

That said, lots of Christian fundamentalists in the United States are actually praying for Armageddon.

Guest lvdkeyes

I posted the original thread and I posted it to warn people who may be in BKK of the possibility of violence due to the demonstration. This was the intent of the US Embassy when they sent out these emails, not to debate the Gaza problems.

Guest shebavon
That's the scary thing.

A lot of these Islamists seem to be essentially part of a nihilistic death cult and knows no boundaries.

That said, lots of Christian fundamentalists in the United States are actually praying for Armageddon.

Unfortunately, that last line includes the exiting occupant of the Oval Office, who has done all he possibly could to "bring it on".

Let's hope Obama can bring some sanity to US foreign policy.

Guest fountainhall
Add the beauty of the Taj Mahal to the list. And how about the religious horrors of the 20th and 21st centuries. The Holocaust, breakup of Yugoslavia, and the current African wars between Muslim and Christian countrymen.

True, but I was responding to a comment about Islam being the youngest religion of the three and trying to make the point that in its early centuries it was more tolerant certainly than Christianity.

I think we all seem to agree that religious extremists, of whatever persuasion and for whatever historical reasons, are a danger to the world. Violence today rarely results in a satisfactory conclusion. So isn't it time that all world and religious leaders devote far more time trying to understand each other on the basis of common ground rather than their differences? After all, as slackersam rightly pointed out earlier, the 3 monotheistic religions have so much in common.

Guest shebavon
True, but I was responding to a comment about Islam being the youngest religion of the three and trying to make the point that in its early centuries it was more tolerant certainly than Christianity.

I think we all seem to agree that religious extremists, of whatever persuasion and for whatever historical reasons, are a danger to the world. Violence today rarely results in a satisfactory conclusion. So isn't it time that all world and religious leaders devote far more time trying to understand each other on the basis of common ground rather than their differences? After all, as slackersam rightly pointed out earlier, the 3 monotheistic religions have so much in common.

As John Lennon once said "You might say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one". "All we are saying, is give peace a chance"

Guest shebavon
I have to say that I find the general religious attitudes in Thailand to be more rational than in Europe or America.

With the exception of some Muslim guys in Sunnee I have met I am in general agreement. I mentioned being American, and their reply was "we hate America". Needless to say that ended the conversation.

Guest slackersam

That could be a general Thai feeling about American foreign policy for than a religious thing.

Over the past few years I've met people from various religions in roughly 10 countries who have said "we hate America" when what they mean is "what the fuck is wrong with your country?"

Guest fountainhall
when what they mean is "what the fuck is wrong with your country?"

This view has increased dramatically over the Bush years. I have a feeling that a lot of the anti-Amerian rhetoric will disappear with Obama in office, especially if he and Clinton can work some miracle by solving the Israel/Palestine problem.

Guest fountainhall
when what they mean is "what the fuck is wrong with your country?"

This view has increased dramatically over the Bush years. I have a feeling that a lot of the anti-Amerian rhetoric will disappear with Obama in office, especially if he and Clinton can work some miracle by solving the Israel/Palestine problem.

Guest shebavon
That could be a general Thai feeling about American foreign policy for than a religious thing.

Over the past few years I've met people from various religions in roughly 10 countries who have said "we hate America" when what they mean is "what the fuck is wrong with your country?"

I hope that you are correct, but I have never had that reaction from Thai Buddhists in the many years I have been here.

Guest lvdkeyes

When I have encountered anti-American attitude in a conversation, I ask if they felt that way when Clinton was President and the answer is inevitable "No, I liked him.". So, it comes down to Bush fucking up the image of America to the world (as if we couldn't have guessed).

Guest slackersam

I've never heard it from buddhists either, but I've heard it from christians, jews and muslims.

The thai buddhists seem less judgemental overall.