Riobard

CoV-context foreplay the new ‘barebacking’?

• Members

... or barefacing? bareinhalation? bareresuscitation? baresnogging? barethroatsinging? baresalivaswapping? 

SARS-CoV-2 is very contagious. By comparison, HIV transmissibility is wimpy.

Q: How much hanky-panky, currently in Brazil, that results in Covid-19 accompanied by rapid onset severe morbidity and/or death, is required for comparable probability to HIV infection via one incident of receptive anal intercourse with a poz untreated partner, without PrEP or PEP (1.4%)?

A: If one canoodles with 17 lads of unknown CoV contagion status, one is 25% likely to meet exposure criteria with at least one partner within this set of conquests. As about 5% suffer significant illness that may culminate in death, the combined probability is 1.25%, similar to the single bareback encounter 1.4%. 

You need to fool around with a lot more guys, like almost 20 times as many, to risk serious illness or death from Covid-19 while travelling compared to the number of unsuppressed HIV-infected guys it takes to bareback fuck you there once and transmit HIV. Though the latter is treatable and accelerates slowly; there the analogy weakens. 

Edited by Riobard
Erratum

• Members

The man with the numbers! This is actually better than I thought. Having come of age in the 80s, AIDS and safe sex are tattooed into my brain. I only recently caught up to the fact that the youth of today practically think that AIDS has been cured. Maybe it has. But I would rather slug it out with covid-19 than take my chances with the long, multi-faceted, major life change of AIDS.

• Members

Question regarding "safe-foreplaying": If one is in that close body-to-body proximity for 15-60 minutes, I can't imagine that any prophylactic measure (masks, alcohol, whatever) is going to make much difference. You are in each other's aerosol and large droplets cloud, inhaling and exhaling heavily, with various respiratory tract fluids all over the place. Even a glory hole wouldn't be much less infectious.

• Members

Interesting notion about the glory-hole. And then there are the positions with face up against it versus arsehole. A tsunami-grade bukakke of particles in flight where not not even the Mask of Coro can save the day. Not sure how much the molecules would sneak through.