TotallyOz

New Apple IMac

• Members

If I need to do any work on the computers I have, even something simple like vacuum dust off of a noisy fan (or replace the fan if necessary), the lid comes off the case after removing a couple screws. 

The case of an iMac on the other hand is glued together.  You have to cut through the glue with a sharp tool all the way around the edge before you can get it apart.  Then once you're inside, because Apple fit everything into a sleek package, you may have to take several things out first to get to what it is you want to work on.

Apple deliberately makes their products hard to work on.  They use screws with a specific-to-Apple head.  Yeah you can buy a special tool (from someone else, not Apple) but why buy stuff from a company that treats you this way.

• Members
6 minutes ago, manticore said:

If I need to do any work on the computers I have, even something simple like vacuum dust off of a noisy fan (or replace the fan if necessary), the lid comes off the case after removing a couple screws. 

The case of an iMac on the other hand is glued together.  You have to cut through the glue with a sharp tool all the way around the edge before you can get it apart.  Then once you're inside, because Apple fit everything into a sleek package, you may have to take several things out first to get to what it is you want to work on.

Apple deliberately makes their products hard to work on.  They use screws with a specific-to-Apple head.  Yeah you can buy a special tool (from someone else, not Apple) but why buy stuff from a company that treats you this way.

I remember, when I had PCs, the need to continue upgrades and replacements in the CPU. Gladly, they are easy to work on. I have been using Macs for about 6 years. I never had a hardware issue. Why do I need to open it up?