JKane

Happy 4th of July everybody...

• Members

Frederick Douglass’s speech on the meaning of the Fourth of July to enslaved people is an eloquent and historic document. 

Frederick Douglass was born into slavery in 1818 in Maryland. He escaped slavery in 1838, in a perilous journey to freedom. He became a leader of the abolitionist movement due to his eloquence. He is one of the most eminent figures in American history.

A side note: a month after Donald Trump’s inauguration, in 2017, he spoke about Douglass and was not clear whether he ever heard of him. In recognition of Black History Month, he said: “I am very proud now that we have a museum on the National Mall where people can learn about Reverend King, so many other things, Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is getting recognized more and more, I notice.”

We should all read the words of this remarkable man, this great American, who spoke in Rochester, New York, on July 5, 1852, at an event celebrating the signing of the Declaration of Independence:

https://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/document/what-to-the-slave-is-the-fourth-of-july/

• Members

Well, the thread title is Happy 4th of July, Everybody.

So, in that spirit, I can say that it is the most boring 4th of July I have ever experienced. It's too hot, even if you could go out there is nowhere to go and nothing to do. So JKane has it right with these well-chosen cartoons. They are making me laugh if not happy! Here are a few others:

salutetotrump.jpg?w=590&h=437

DhRVJhFWkAIt0RN.jpg

wilkinson-0209.jpg

Edited by Lucky

• Members

Trump celebrated July 6 by attacking Bubba Wallace, the only black NASCAR driver and  and Donald almost cried because the Confederacy flag is no longer popular.

Could it be that president is sorry he said ninety nine percent of covid victims recover?  Of course not. Anything to win re-election. And to take attention away from Mary Trump's book to be published next week.