SolaceSoul

Brazil Tops List of Destinations for LGBT Tourists to Avoid

• Members

“RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL - A famous online tour guide for the LGBT community has singled out Brazil as a destination to be avoided.

GayCities, an online publication that provides advice for LGBT travelers, published its list Tuesday, August 27th, of "Five places to avoid when planning a vacation," and at the very top is Brazil.”

https://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/brazil/brazil-listed-as-destination-to-avoid-for-lgbt-tourists/

Edited by SolaceSoul

• Members
5 hours ago, SolaceSoul said:

“RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL - A famous online tour guide for the LGBT community has singled out Brazil as a destination to be avoided.

GayCities, an online publication that provides advice for LGBT travelers, published its list Tuesday, August 27th, of "Five places to avoid when planning a vacation," and at the very top is Brazil.”

https://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/brazil/brazil-listed-as-destination-to-avoid-for-lgbt-tourists/

I guess the author is trying to scare the competition for GPs. 

• Members
29 minutes ago, Latbear4blk said:

I guess the author is trying to scare the competition for GPs. 

On the contrary, the reasons the article provides are quite detailed and have little at all to do with the sauna or garoto scene. Personally, I happen to disagree with their conclusion, but I’m not really much of a “gay traveler”, anyway. For example, their recommended alternative, Miami, to me, is of no comparison to any major coastal city in Brazil.

https://www.gaycities.com/outthere/41254/5-places-to-avoid-when-planning-a-vacation-and-some-great-alternatives/

”Brazil’s economy has been circling the drain since the 2016 impeachment of then-President Dilma Rousseff, who was accused of massive economic corruption. The Brazilian currency, the real, collapsed; violence exploded in the cities, and that led to a severe increase in attacks on gay and trans people.

In 2017, 445 people were reported to have died in anti-LGBTQ hate crimes; in 2018, statistics shows 167 trans people were murdered. Also in 2018, Marielle Franco, a Rio de Janiero city councilor who advocated for LGBTQ rights, was murdered in what witnesses described as a planned assasination, with two ex-police officers arrested as suspects.

Besides allowing attacks on gay and trans people to increase, even encouraging it, ultra-right wing President Bosanaro is also letting the Amazon rainforest burn, with the goal of opening the land for farming and exploitation, and this is ruining the source of 10% of the world’s oxygen in the process. 

The fires are also displacing thousands of indigenous tribal people, who are powerless against the fires as their ancestral lands are destroyed. São Paulo, the financial and cultural center of the country, is a very progressive city, but until the skies are clear of smoke (photos top and above), and the government takes an interest in violence against gay and trans people, Brazil is not the place to visit.

Where to go instead: Get all the tropical feels and a great beach scene in Miami!”