Guest fountainhall

Be Careful!

Guest fountainhall

I am sure almost all of us are aware when we get email requests allegedly from banks etc. to provide account details. These are phishing scams and should be immediately trashed.

A new one - in my experience - surfaced the other day. Someone working in an office in Bangkok received a request for his email information to be updated - email box, his name, city where he lived. Basically innocuous, but he fell for it and returned the completed form.

Now everyone on his list has received mails, allegedly from him, saying he is in Kuala Lumpur where he has been attending an AIDS Conference, had his wallet stolen and desperately needs US$3,500 to pay his hotel bills and get a ticket back to Bangkok. I received a copy and knew at once it was not genuine. But several people overseas called his office to check as they were ready to send something to help him out. I just wonder if anyone else just fell for it. It only needs a few gullible people and those behind the scam can make $10,000 profit and more.

Guest lvdkeyes
I just wonder if anyone else just fell for it.

I would never send money to anyone for any reason based on an email requesting it. That would be sheer stupidity.