SolaceSoul

How Dating Apps Ruined Traveling — GQ Magazine

• Members

https://www.gq.com/story/how-dating-apps-ruined-traveling

“Sampling the guys of places I visited was fun until it wasn’t. Instead of being open to hookups while traveling, it began feeling like a necessary part of the trip—that it was my international duty to make nations closer by having my body parts smashing up against some resident’s. And while there's nothing wrong with wanting to hook up on vacation, I've come to the realization that that I was relying on making out in new places just as tourists depend on Fodor’s Travel Guides as the blueprint for a proper trip.”

How Dating Apps Ruined Traveling

• Members

This article is a DAMN GOOD read and describes me to a "T." Our first visit to Rio was July of last year and with all there is to see in Rio, the only thing we did was fuck all day.  We've been to Rio 4 times since then. The last time was in March with friends and the trip started the same way it always does when we visit Rio. Sex, sex and more sex! On the third day at breakfast, I actually told everyone that we need to do more than fuck on this trip. Imagine that!!! A sex crazed whore like me wanting to do something else in Rio besides screw. We had a great time exploring Rio on the 4 hour tour we embarked on. My first time in Rio TRULY OVERWHELMED me. So after my first encounter at the bath house I was in total disbelief. I mean it's one thing to hear the hot stories from friends or reading about them on this site, but to actually indulge in the kinds on sexual experiences that's so easily obtainable in Rio Is unreal. I personally dont cling to my phone monitoring the gay apps, but my husband does and he gets pretty lucky on the apps for the most part. Maybe a lot of guys immerse themselves in these international sex-capades because those experiences aren't as easy to have in their hometown. I mean if you live in a "sexless" town with NO GAY ACTION I can understand why you would go to Rio or Santo Santo Domingo and completely disregard sight seeing. Another possible reason could be the sex is so much cheaper in Rio and other places. Sure you're paying for flights and Airbnb's, but the quality of the guys, their passion, and we cant forget their dick size, make it all worthwhile. We usually take $700 US dollars for a weekend in Santo domingo and fuck 3 to 4 times a day, the entire time we're there. Hell, $700 here in the U.S. will yield one sexual encounter. Oh, and I love the word, "dick-stracted," in the article. I'm always DICK-STRACTED on vacations. #Clever

• Members
17 hours ago, mvan1 said:

Interesting article.  

So true for many of us.  

However, many of us travel with the specific expectation of a romantic adventure.  In that case, the article is a confirmation of our intent, in many cases.   

Personally, I barely ever meet anyone from apps even when I’m in the States. When traveling abroad, same thing. Too many “catfish”, too much back and forth, and the screening process for verification can be too lengthy. I’m a very visual person and need to see what I am getting, and need to know that it’s real.

On my last 3-month stay in Brazil, I met only one guy off Grindr — a GdP or a “boy”. He looked exactly like all of his photos, which was a big plus, but the programa was very uneventful. Will not repeat. 

• Members

I was grabbing a java recently where visiting in Spain.

So Guy#1 is sitting near me at a table anxiously scanning between his phone and the entrance.

Guy#2 eventually moseys in looking for the fellow of his dreams of the day, app-arently.

Their eyes meet. Guy#1 says: [insert Guy#2’s name]? ... and extends handshake. Guy#2 does a two-second sizing up while leaving the handshake hanging, and scurries off. 

I was not sure about local versus tourist status. 

In the baths, this kind of rebuff would not be seen as particularly  noteworthy or amusing.

I obviously recognized the above public humiliation, but I had to suppress my smile. 

The poor sap had only the one freshly grinded.