mvan1

Rio - tourism, anyone?

• Members

Damn. I was on that trail two weeks ago. Was only going to visit Park Large, but it’s quite small, excitement and love for Rio trails overcame my worries. Quite tough trail, for a short section of it one has to climb rocks dragging a chain with support of iron bar nailed into the rock. Totally exhausted hiking up. Gladly paid the cable car ride down. 

Overall for the week I was there (Dec 17- 24), felt pretty safe walking around. Did two hikes by myself, Corcovado and Dos Irmãos. Then you read this kind of news :-( The Corcovado trail from Park Large has been known for occasional incidents of robbery. I went up with only 100 reals with me, but was a little worried and would be really pissed if my phone got robbed.

While this won’t deter me from returning to Rio, I won’t hike that particular trail again. wonder if any of the 40 unlucky tourists will return to hike those beautiful trails in Rio ever again. 

• Members

I’ve done a few walking trails up to the top of morros (Dois Irmãos, Pedra do Telegrafo, etc.),  but not the one going up Corcovado leading to Christ The Redeemer. That one just seemed WAY too steep a climb, even for me. 

But if some malandros want to mug a few international tourists on a hike and make out like bandits, I’d guess that Corcovado (followed by Sugarloaf) would be the ones to pick.

• Members

The Corcavado trail has been infamous for robbery for years, unfortunately.  The Pedro da Gavea trail has also been targeted.

Luckily everyone was released unharmed...it’s definitely a good idea to get insurance on your phone when going to Brazil. Nothing else I carry on me is worth much.

The photo is from when 58 tourists were robbed over a period of 10 days in 2017, causing the trail to be shut down

52777B12-DC7C-44A4-8A70-BF9283CEEB5C.jpeg

Edited by sanddunes