Guest MonkeySee

Wasilla, Alaska Drug Bust

Guest MonkeySee

Sarah Pallin's daughter is due to have her baby any day now. I heard on CNN that her husband-to-be's mother was just arrested on six felony drug charges. The 42 year old woman (I think her name is Sheri) is out on bail. I wonder if Sarah will support her daughter's decision to marry this guy?

This board the National Enquirer or something? The Alaskan idiot deserves any political or personal attacks one might want to muster but splashing public comments about her kids, their boyfriends, or the boyfriend's family is simply an invasion of privacy in my book.

This board the National Enquirer or something? The Alaskan idiot deserves any political or personal attacks one might want to muster but splashing public comments about her kids, their boyfriends, or the boyfriend's family is simply an invasion of privacy in my book.

Bob, this is a very tough one for me. I can definitely see your point and I can concur to a great degree with what you are saying. However, the Sarah Palins of the world, and most politicans for that matter, push themselves into the public eye as leaders or potential leaders. In deciding whether or not these people are good leaders shouldn't we be aware of what kind of people they are when they are not leading. Is it really unfair to look at who their friends are, and what their family is like? If this was some kind of sports figure or actors, I would agree with you 100%, but a politican is someone who wants to be in the spotlight and proclaims, "I can give you a better life". To me, I think I need to know how they think, who they choose for friends, and what kind of family life they lead is to decide if this person is someone I can believe will try to make my life better, or just line their own pockets.

Guest fountainhall
This board the National Enquirer or something?

Aw, come on! This is no invasion of privacy. The news was all over CNN, the BBC and other worldwide news networks. What's wrong with bringing it up here?

I suppose there is nothing "wrong" with bringing it up here as anybody has the right to do that; however, I don't accept the notion that somehow the information is perfectly fine to spread around just because somebody else does it.

I understand the dilemma but I actually feel sorry for her kids. They didn't choose to insert themselves or their private lives into the public discourse and I frankly don't agree that the kids' private lives (or, for example, who may be or may not be the father of the teenage girl's baby) is fair game. Responsible journalists (where or where are you, Edward R. Murrow and Walter Cronkite?), I suspect, would take the same position.

The fact that the National Enquirer is the #1 "newspaper" in my country is neither a matter to be proud of nor a license to lower the standards of reasonable public discourse.

Anyway, just a personal opinion. I'll blast the "I can see Russia from my home" genius with anybody but I'm not going to make fun of her kids.

Guest MonkeySee
I suppose there is nothing "wrong" with bringing it up here as anybody has the right to do that; however, I don't accept the notion that somehow the information is perfectly fine to spread around just because somebody else does it.

I was just repeating what Anderson Cooper reported on CNN. Perhaps Anderson would appreciate your thoughts?

Maybe I'm just pining for the days when news was news and gossip was left to the parties and backyard fences. But that's not the modern era, I admit.

When I was a teen and in my early twenties (too damn many years ago), I used to read Time magazine cover to cover on a weekly basis and actually learned something (back then, most of it was news and much of it was many words beyond a sound bite). Today it's sometimes difficult to distinguish Time magazine from People magazine. And, now, Shaun Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, and even Lou Dobbs attempt to pass themselves off as legitmate news sources (and some of that is almost believable when comparing them to the British tabloids!).

Guest GaySacGuy

I'm sorry, but I disagree with you!! This is a person who accussed Obama of hanging out with terrorist becasue he served on a board with Bill Ayers.

Well...gotcha! Sarah Palin is hanging out with drug dealers!! She has been around here daughters future mother-in-law...thus HANGING OUT WITH DRUG DEALERS!!!

What goes around comes around!!

Guest fountainhall
I don't accept the notion that somehow the information is perfectly fine to spread around just because somebody else does it.

An admirable sentiment, but unfortunately one that just does not go with the territory any more. Sarah Palin is a very divisive figure. She chose to go into politics. She was not pushed. Whilst I agree her kids ought to be off-limits up to a point, when she entered the national political arena with her ultra conservative views, she must have known full well that with her daughter being an unwed mother-to-be, she was ripe for attack from any number of political and media sources.

I have no way of knowing, but my gut feel is that she probably had some idea that her soon-to-be son-in-law's mother was involved in drugs. Palin is the governor after all, with access to a great deal of information from police and other sources. And let's not forget that the aforesaid lady is up not on one charge - but on six! As GaySacGuy points out, Palin dished out a lot of questionable dirt in the election campaign, and did so with a lot of gusto and conviction. Now that she's having much more credible dirt slung at her, I have absolutely zero sympathy.

Guest MonkeySee
Maybe I'm just pining for the days when news was news and gossip was left to the parties and backyard fences. But that's not the modern era, I admit.

When I was a teen and in my early twenties (too damn many years ago), I used to read Time magazine cover to cover on a weekly basis and actually learned something (back then, most of it was news and much of it was many words beyond a sound bite). Today it's sometimes difficult to distinguish Time magazine from People magazine. And, now, Shaun Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, and even Lou Dobbs attempt to pass themselves off as legitmate news sources (and some of that is almost believable when comparing them to the British tabloids!).

I agree with you Bob. This is the modern era and things have really changed. I guess each generation remembers the "good old days." Just think 10, 20, 30 years from now, these will be the good old days.

Guest lvdkeyes
I agree with you Bob. This is the modern era and things have really changed. I guess each generation remembers the "good old days." Just think 10, 20, 30 years from now, these will be the good old days.

I remember when I was very young asking my grandmother, "Tell me about the good old days?" In her wisdom she said, "Honey, these are the good old days. Don't ever forget that." I try to remember what she told me.

I remember when I was very young asking my grandmother, "Tell me about the good old days?" In her wisdom she said, "Honey, these are the good old days. Don't ever forget that." I try to remember what she told me.

My dad, who was born in 1915 and died about ten years ago, rarely ever talked about his youth on a rugged farm in northern Michigan. But, when he did, whatever story he was telling ended with the same line: "You know, I don't miss it a goddam bit!"

I always stick to Melville when it comes to looking at the past.

The Past is the textbook of tyrants; the Future the Bible of the Free. Those who are solely governed by the Past stand like Lot's wife, crystallized in the act of looking backward, and forever incapable of looking before. ~Herman Melville, White Jacket

Have we changed the subject, oh well at least it the thread did not turn into a bitch fight like another board I know.

Guest Steve1903

Palin will be quick enough to tell the US public how to run their lives, what they should be preaching in the family home etc so the public have every right to know what she preaches in her own home ie. what are her kids getting up to.