likeohmygod

Bad news: Bolsonaro will win the elections

• Members

God, that's depressing.  While I can certainly appreciate the desire for a better life, Bolsonaro may even be worse than Trump.  Forget the hypocrisy of a garoto voting for a rabid homophobe, look at his views on blacks and drug users and everything else.  Not that there's any danger of me going there anytime soon, but any garoto who supported that creep wouldn't get a dime from me.  

Although Bolsonaro is almost certain to win the first round, he's still only polling on about 30%.  Hopefully decency will win out in the second round, and everyone else will unite against him.  It happened earlier this year in Costa Rica, maybe lightning will strike twice.    

• Members
On 9/9/2018 at 3:43 AM, mvan1 said:

Is this the kind of session with the police you mean? 

Enlarge the newspaper headline.  You will see clients and garotos standing against a wall in a gay sauna that was raided by the Sao Paulo police. 

Although rare, it does happen -

Wow, I can't believe harassment like that was still taking place as recently as 2007 (date on the newspaper). 

• Members
2 hours ago, sanddunes said:

Wow, I can't believe harassment like that was still taking place as recently as 2007 (date on the newspaper). 

That sauna used to be more fun than Lagoa.  It was competition to Lagoa on certain days of the week. 

It had been in business more than twenty years when it closed.

A church was built directly across the street from the sauna.  That made the church people mad.

Can you imagine the reaction from the church goers at seeing dozens of garotos and clients going into and out all day knowing what the place is?

That sauna used to bring in at least 50 garotos on Saturdays and Sundays during the day.  The sauna was also open during the week but less busy.

• Members
8 hours ago, mvan1 said:

That sauna used to be more fun than Lagoa.  It was competition to Lagoa on certain days of the week. 

It had been in business more than twenty years when it closed.

A church was built directly across the street from the sauna.  That made the church people mad.

Can you imagine the reaction from the church goers at seeing dozens of garotos and clients going into and out all day knowing what the place is?

That sauna used to bring in at least 50 garotos on Saturdays and Sundays during the day.  The sauna was also open during the week but less busy.

Edit to my above post:

After reading the response of sanddunes wherein he noted the 2007 date (year) from the newspaper article.  I went back and read the old article.   

I knew the sauna had been around long before I began visiting Brazil.  I heard the sauna had been in existence about 20 years at the time it closed.

However, going back to the article, it says the sauna had been in existence for thirty-seven years.   

My goodness, Brazil's dictatorship ended in 1985 which means the sauna was in existence  many years while Brazil was ruled by the military dictatorship. 

I wonder how many military guys used to go to that sauna. 

• Members
6 hours ago, mvan1 said:

Edit to my above post:

After reading the response of sanddunes wherein he noted the 2007 date (year) from the newspaper article.  I went back and read the old article.   

I knew the sauna had been around long before I began visiting Brazil.  I heard the sauna had been in existence about 20 years at the time it closed.

However, going back to the article, it says the sauna had been in existence for thirty-seven years.   

My goodness, Brazil's dictatorship ended in 1985 which means the sauna was in existence  many years while Brazil was ruled by the military dictatorship. 

I wonder how many military guys used to go to that sauna. 

My understanding is that sauna culture — gay or straight — was thriving in Brazil even during the era of military dictatorship.

On 9/18/2018 at 11:08 AM, Tomcal said:

i would agree but they are posting long discussions back and forth and everyone of them seem to be supporting Bolsonaro, and they genuinely seem to support him and i don’t know why? 

Sounds like a familiar situation from the USA doesn't it? :)

• Members
42 minutes ago, floridarob said:

Or the priests and church goers from across the street.....

42 minutes ago, floridarob said:

Or the priests and church goers from across the street.....

Funny you mentioned that about priests.  

During my visits to that sauna I used to talk with some of the clients I saw there who were there on a regular basis. 

One client (who will go unnamed because he still goes to Lagoa) used to be a regular at that sauna.   He was usually there when I arrived and stayed after I left. 

He is a priest but he was not a priest at that new church across the street that caused the sauna to close.