mvan1

The Brazilian Real

• Members
1 hour ago, JAYBLK said:
5 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

As has been covered to exhaustion on this board, programas have been anchored at about R$100 for several years now. For those of us whose wealth is denominated in USD, that means that the price has fluctuated between $25 and $30, being on the $25 side right now. For those denizens of this forum who seem to do 75-80 programas a year, that difference could add up to the cost of an AirBnB. For the rest of us, it's a meal at a mid-range restaurant at best. 

wow. I sound much more reasonable in that quote. Obviously I am not being very successful at keeping on check my enthusiasm about my December trip.

• Members
7 hours ago, JAYBLK said:

Assuming that the strength of the dollar vs the real will hold until December may indicate an unfamiliarity with the currency markets in general and  Brazilian economic history in particular. Im definitely going to benefit next week. Your benefiting in December is a toss up at best.

So true.  It's a presidential election year, so the only thing we can continue to count on are the hefty swings in currency markets as it plays out. 

• Members

My go-to Rio apto cost for an upcoming trip, not surprisingly, followed the currency trend and is so ridiculous that I booked it for a total period of time that may end up interrupted/vacated for excursion(s) northeast with a scaled-down carry-on. The convenience of keeping it as a base comes at an entirely manageable price.