Latbear4blk

Google translator: question

• Members

I have not been in a place where Spanish or English aren't the main spoken languages, so I have never used Google translator before. Getting ready for my trip to Salvador, I downloaded the app with the Spanish and Portuguese dictionaries just in case I may be in a situation with no wireless, but I am connected right now.

To try it, I typed this text in Portuguese: sou um cara boa pinta presença, másculo de bom nível cultural, que gosta muito de sexo, sou muito safado e gosto de proporcionar prazer a quem estiver comigo de diversas formas, faço tanto ativo como passivo.

When I try to translate to Spanish, it is censored. I get random messages like "Me encanta la música" repeated many times. However, when I translate to English, it works perfectly. I checked the app settings, and offensive language is not blocked. As a matter of fact, there was no censorship to translate to English.

Why does this happen when I translate to Spanish? Does anyone know?

• Members

Probably a glitch in the app's brain if it did not quite compute.

I used the image scan function and got the same 'i love music' as well when doing the original PTG to Spanish. It may have picked up on culture and 'jammed up' on the music phrase.

Interestingly, it was happy to translate Portuguese to English to Spanish to Portuguese to Spanish (see sequence below), so it preferred the PTG version that its brain initially moved through two different tongues before producing the Spanish translation. 

Note the variations ... you can likely go back and forth between two languages and see minor alterations in the text on consecutive passes. 

Kkkkk, jajajaja, so Spanglish is alive and well! ;)

IMG_4365.PNG

IMG_4366.PNG

IMG_4367.PNG

IMG_4370.PNG

IMG_4371.PNG

• Members

Be glad you're translating to a major Romance language. Those of us to go to Prague have learned the hard way that Google Translate comes out complete jibberish in Czech and scares guys off who think we're nuts. I went on FB and got the first Czech item in my feed, a guy went to a car show, and I translated it from Czech:

Friends fest with woman  really cool spectacle we had a great time, the comfort of stěch cars indescribable. 
Most of us are jealous of these cars because they don't have it, and you know why because they don't want it, they do everything like average sheep, and they don't try to stop dealing with the neighborhood, and they don't want to work This is not a life to be honest with yourself and okolimu especially, don't play games with each other, but instead, work on your own. 

I've been told it translates even worse the other way. Google needs to take it's slavic translators down until they are decent. Be careful that your translator is pretty good before you use it, much less depend on it.

• Members

I do not think Google Translate censors. It may just get confused.

I think if it censored you would not get English translation for French "Je te tape le cul avec mes doigts": "I am typing your ass with my fingers" (it chooses present progressive) ...

Yet it translates "Je me tape le cul avec mes doigts": "I fuck my ass with my fingers". It chooses present indicative but elects "fuck" rather than "type". 

Who says AI is pottymouth- free? ;)