Guest Larstrup

I’m HIV POSITIVE

Guest Larstrup

15 years ago I tested positive for HIV. Since then, I’ve remained alive, without mental issues, ( ok I get those whom suggest otherwise) :rolleyes:with the blessing of the antiretroviral medications which keep me alive today. I’m more alive, healthy (undetectable) than I ever was before.

my HIV Diagnosis hasn’t really changed me much, from whom I was before; it’s just made me more free to tell others who are, that we’re more likely to die of old age, than what what robbed our friends in the 80’s of their  life when we all begged for a cure. That cure is still not offered to us, but what we have now and today, is giving us a second life. There’s so many moments which reflect what we don’t have when others knew before us.

Guest Larstrup

Those who left us, wanted better for us. They left us with their hope. My only hope is that we don’t disappoint them.

First, thank you for sharing with us. That is a brave act when someone opens up something so personal.  Thank you.

My first boyfriend in NYC was HIV Positive. He taught me a lot about HIV as he was in multiple studies and his blood was highly sought after by researchers because of the previous studies he was in.  I was very young and very inexperienced sexually and would have done anything with him.  But, he wanted to make sure I stayed negative and he taught me a lot.  Just a few months back I went on PrEP. I have had a lot of friends that died and a lot more that survived and thrived.  The ex was diagnosed in the early 80's.  He is still alive and doing great.

I also hope that the next generation that did not see the devastation in our community realizes that they have options and things can be different for them. At least this is my hope.

• Members

Since arriving in Florida four years ago, I have been working, volunteering, and donating money to 'Tuesday Angels',  an organization dedicated to raising money, helping,  and supporting those with HIV. Last month, after being around for several decades, Tuesday Angels seized to exist. The need for such an organization was slowly diminishing. While sad, it is hopeful, that perhaps progress is being made. Millions like Lars are living longer, stronger, and more hopeful lives.

I will always pray for friends and family that didn't make it, and I am thankful for the gift of hope they left all of us, and I will always be grateful for showing us how to pass on with dignity. So many, gone too soon. Perhaps the legacy of Tuesday Angel's is a look into the future. Perhaps it is more hopeful than I see or can understand. I do know that the soul of this nation lies in the lives that have gone before and those that unselfishly extended a helping hand.

http://www.tuesdaysangels.org/

• Members

image.png.2c519eec70e31134db090724664726be.png

ANNOUNCEMENT

After a period of reflection and discussion the board of Tuesday’s Angels has decided to dissolve as of November 30, 2018 although dinners and assistance (except for bus passes) will stop by April 6, 2018.  The reasons for closing and plans for a legacy are explained below.

Since its founding over two and a half decades ago, there have been many changes in the experience of people with HIV.  Significantly, most people with HIV are now living long lives with medication. There are also several HIV agencies providing services in Broward County, as well as programs for some housing and utility assistance.  Over the past few years, Tuesday’s Angels has been serving largely a chronically ill HIV population of low income individuals rather than critically ill people in crisis.  They have spent less money on providing rent and utilities and more on eyeglasses and transportation needs. The number of clients helped has also decreased.  While there is still a great need to serve those living with HIV who are struggling financially, the initial crisis has thankfully passed.  

The other reason Tuesday’s Angels is stopping operations has to do with the aging of the organization – its donors, board, and volunteers; and difficulties attracting younger people.   The board feels the need to enter a new phase reflective of the present situation.  The board plans on placing its assets in what will be the Tuesday’s Angels Donor Advised Fund at Our Fund.  The advisors will be several of the current board members who will ensure that the money will be spent to continue the mission of providing direct assistance to financially needy people with HIV in Broward County.  This fund will have a life of ten years and will be Tuesday’s Angel’s legacy.  Any donations to the fund can be made with the knowledge that administrative costs will be paid out of the current board account so that 100% of donations will continue to pay for assistance as always, and donations are encouraged. 

Tuesday’s Angels is extremely proud of what its donors and volunteers have accomplished, having raised and distributed over two and a half million dollars over the years which has helped thousands of needy people, a testament to the commitment and efforts of all.

• Members
9 minutes ago, Lucky said:

I saw my doctor this morning, and he says that people who HIV who are undetectable no longer need to use condoms as they cannot transmit the virus. That's rather big news I would think. Everyone else probably already knows that!

Yes we do. 

But still, condom is recommended if you are not monogamous, syphilis, gonorrhoea and chlamydia are still annoying enough, that they warrant to take  some precautions.

One day we’ll have vaccines for those too, but no progress so far.  

Guest Larstrup
On 6/8/2018 at 9:38 PM, AdamSmith said:

@Larstrup, all your presence here is radiantly beautiful.

This one so most especially.

I have only you, to thank for that, and I'm grateful. really I am. :)

2 hours ago, Larstrup said:

I have only you, to thank for that, and I'm grateful. really I am. :)

Thank you, beyond saying.

I think you have many, many here to thank for that.

Your presence is so broadly, and deeply, appreciated. You give so much.

On 6/8/2018 at 1:51 PM, Tartegogo said:

Yes we do. 

But still, condom is recommended if you are not monogamous, syphilis, gonorrhoea and chlamydia are still annoying enough, that they warrant to take  some precautions.

Especially the virulently antibiotic-resistant strains that have emerged. And that seem to be getting into wider and wider circulation.

On 6/9/2018 at 12:51 AM, Tartegogo said:

Yes we do. 

One day we’ll have vaccines for those too, but no progress so far.  

Have you ever met a truly monogamous man? I keep looking.  Where do you find them?

When I was in undergraduate school there was another student who was HIV and openly gay and an ActUp activist. I am not sure which I was most afraid of as I knew nothing of HIV or gay life.  We were part of the same student group but I would never sit by him or talk to him for fear of being “found out.”  I still remember his name, his smile and his scent. But, I have never gotten over the shame of not acknowledging him and have had nightmares about it for 30 years. He died not knowing how much I wanted to talk to him, how many things I wanted to ask him and how much his example meant to me later in life. I was not out yet and very closeted. Religion was a huge factor for me. I prayed each night for God to take away the desires of men.  The shame of not talking to this man has carried on for 30 years. 

@LarstrupThank you for sharing your story as with the sharing of stories, we can all learn and grow.  I wish I knew as much back then as I do today.

Guest Victors05
On 6/8/2018 at 2:29 PM, Suckrates said:

I would NEVER have unprotected anal sex with strangers, no matter what ANYONE says.  

Same here.