Gotti

Transportation (by train) between Guarulhos (GRU) and downtown Sao Paulo

• Members

By suggestion of Mvan1 I'm starting a thread featuring the new train between Sao Paulo main airport (Guarulhos-GRU) and several stops in the city. Is already in operation but I have not used yet, so hopefully somebody currently in town will post a review soon. Mvan1 main concern, regarding the danger of carrying luggage in a public transportation might not be the case because how can someone escape carrying a sizable and probably heavy bag? A gang certainly could, but would it pay off? They certainly would aim a more profitable enterprise. I think is more risky showing off easy to snatch stuff like cellphones, cameras, jewelry etc. I have carried roll on luggage through streets in both Rio and Sao Paulo with no issues, I believe cause, if they robbed me would not be easy to get away with it and the chances of getting caught are very high.

By the way, I can't remember the name of this new thing, if anybody has a link with more info, kindly post it below, so it can really be more useful for everybody.

• Members

The new train is an interesting development and a good option to have.  However, uber to GRU is usually only around 60 reals (16usd).  

It hardly seems worth it to haul luggage around the very crowded, standing-room-only sao paulo metro (you would likely need to transfer lines as well), and then haul the luggage from the metro stop to your street address.

• Members

Most big cities in the world have trains connecting the airport to downtown. Most of them includes a subway connection to a final destination. At peak time subways cars are usually crowded. It's not supposed to be as convenient or confortable as a private car. It costs substantially less ( in Sao Paulo case like 15 times less, in NY case-air train+ subway 10 times less). Does that make'em all useless?

• Members

You are right other places, like Hong Kong, have trains from the airport.  But generally those have luggage racks, lots more seating, some even have wi-fi, i.e specialty trains that are nothing like the packed metro cars in Sao Paulo.  Hopefully someone here can try it out and report back.  It looks like the fare has yet to be determined.