Suckrates

When is it Time to STOP?

• Members

For anyone that watched Janet Jackson receive some Icon award at the Billboard Music Awards, her live performance was quite disappointing....

At 50 +, Janet sure looked gorgeous, but her performance (partially lip synched)  lacked the usual power and energy you expect from a Janet performance.  Kudos to the promoters who designed a production number designed to create enough chaos around her,  with minions of dancers and crazy lighting to detract from her lethargy.  AND she wore FLATS !   But gurl gets props for swinging that 3 ft ponytail !!!!

While Janet may have the hops to still create great music,   it looked like it was time for her to hang up up "live performing" heels  ? 

Recent clips of Madonna and Cher performances, who are also clearly in their Golden Years, illustrated a lack of the usual energy produced in their sets....  While still FABULOUS !!

I am not blaming them...At their age, bodies break down and everyday there is some ache or pain, even if they are in tip-top shape.  

Fans expect 100% especially if they pay big bucks for a ticket.   Do you think there is a time that these performers should stop performing LIVE ??? 

janet-jackson-bbmas-2018.jpg

GettyImages-960682006.jpg?itok=KSsuNYnB&

• Members
5 hours ago, Suckrates said:

For anyone that watched Janet Jackson receive some Icon award at the Billboard Music Awards, her live performance was quite disappointing....

At 50 +, Janet sure looked gorgeous, but her performance (partially lip synched)  lacked the usual power and energy you expect from a Janet performance.  Kudos to the promoters who designed a production number designed to create enough chaos around her,  with minions of dancers and crazy lighting to detract from her lethargy.  AND she wore FLATS !   But gurl gets props for swinging that 3 ft ponytail !!!!

While Janet may have the hops to still create great music,   it looked like it was time for her to hang up up "live performing" heels  ? 

Recent clips of Madonna and Cher performances, who are also clearly in their Golden Years, illustrated a lack of the usual energy produced in their sets....  While still FABULOUS !!

I am not blaming them...At their age, bodies break down and everyday there is some ache or pain, even if they are in tip-top shape.  

Fans expect 100% especially if they pay big bucks for a ticket.   Do you think there is a time that these performers should stop performing LIVE ??? 

janet-jackson-bbmas-2018.jpg

GettyImages-960682006.jpg?itok=KSsuNYnB&

She's no Tina Turner. At 62 she knew it...but still knocked it out of the park, one last time. The bitch can walk a heel!!  :P

Guest Larstrup

I didn’t see Janet’s performance but I saw a clip or two afterward; and distracting chaos really quite succinctly says it all.

With that said, don’t you dare come for my Madonna or especially Cher! I will cut you! :P

All three of these ladies are icons, and even though Madonna is only 59 ( her last tour was fabulous) and Cher is 72 and currently preparing for her “Here We Go Again” tour  beginning on September 26, 2018 and finishing on October 20, 2018.  Most people going to these concerts don’t expect them to be who they once were, because most people attending are not who they once were either. 

It’s the nostalgia and the love of the artist that brings the audience in. And for artists like Cher and Madonna, who have multiple generations of fans; many who are 20 or 30 years old today, are going because they loved them in their prime, and oftentimes even before many were ever born; yet grew up with their music though the dominance of their long lasting careers.  That’s what makes music great.  It transcends generations and brings people together for the joy of the music, the artistry and the performance. 

By the way, you can purchase your Cher; “Here We Go Again” tickets here.

:lol:

Guest Larstrup

PS: To @Suckrates  question - When is it time to stop?  I say when people stop coming to see you perform OR,  when you need a harness and crane to lift you up from your knees after an oral performance which brought one or many to climax. :devil:

As an example, the rolling stones were some of the first truly remarkable an outstanding  sounds I heard when I was 15 years old. There were obviously others outside of rock ‘n’ roll, but nostalgia, the connection to our youth and the love of the artist and the performance of those that you once loved will always be factors which drive you to their Concert. We all are, truly, forever young in one manner or another. And so we embrace our past With the joy it once gave us and our youth. Of course it’s not the same… But neither are we.

• Members
1 hour ago, Larstrup said:

PS: To @Suckrates  question - When is it time to stop?  I say when people stop coming to see you perform OR,  when you need a harness and crane to lift you up from your knees after an oral performance which brought one or many to climax. :devil:

As an example, the rolling stones were some of the first truly remarkable an outstanding  sounds I heard when I was 15 years old. There were obviously others outside of rock ‘n’ roll, but nostalgia, the connection to our youth and the love of the artist and the performance of those that you once loved will always be factors which drive you to their Concert. We all are, truly, forever young in one manner or another. And so we embrace our past With the joy it once gave us and our youth. Of course it’s not the same… But neither are we.

Mick Jagger, Billy Idol..... TRAGIC !     the fact that you CAN still perform doesnt mean that you SHOULD !  :no::no:

• Members
1 hour ago, Larstrup said:

Good choice...There will always be an appreciation for those that came before, broke new ground, and kept us entertained for so many decades. I always chuckle at  the Madonna haters, sitting behind their computers, criticizing her age, her looks, her voice, and so quick to tell the rest of us how washed up she is, and themselves never once walked on to a stage to perform or entertain, or break new ground musically...