Guest MonkeySee

Are Asians Meek Compared to Westerners?

Guest MonkeySee

I was waiting for a bus in the open air waiting area. There was a westerner that lit up a cigarette while standing next to a no smoking sign. Three different “no smoking” signs were in clear view, but this guy paid no attention. I noticed a Thai lady move away when the guy lit up. Why is it the lady did not say something to the inconsiderate guy? Is it a gender thing? Is it a class thing? Or are Asians meeker compared to farangs?

Guest Steve1903

Not sure if they are meeker. In UK people used to ignore smokers on trains and buses rather than create a fuss. It is a lot more frowned on now though.

Guest MonkeySee
Not sure if they are meeker. In UK people used to ignore smokers on trains and buses rather than create a fuss. It is a lot more frowned on now though.

I would tend to ignore the inconsiderate boob and then walk away. Maybe give the guy a dirty look, but I do not like confrontation. Some people are much more radical, though.

Guest fountainhall
are Asians meeker compared to farangs?

Generally no, but there is a huge difference in culture. Most farangs are brought up in societies which place a premium on individual achievements, on initiative and success. If something's wrong, you go up there and do something about it. Most Asian cultures place far more emphasis on the 'group' - whether that is the village, family (clan), school, workplace or whatever, and much less on individual freedom of action.

Additionally there is the ever-important matter in most Asian societies of 'face'. When a farang is worried about losing face, it is generally the result of something he has or has not done. Many Asians will go out of their way to ensure they will not lose face in a particular situation - before the fact, as it were. So in the case you mention of the smoking farang (any relative of the "flying farang"??), the lady obviously saw a number of potential face losing possibilities in alerting the farang to the no-smoking sign. Better therefore to do nothing but blend in with the crowd.