Guest MonkeySee

10 Special Places to See Before You Die

Guest MonkeySee

10 Special Places to See Before You Die, by Andrew Harper

Life is short, and there is an understandable urge to check off the planet’s main attractions first. But you are unlikely to have the Eiffel Tower, the Pyramids or the Taj Mahal to yourself. After a lifetime of travel, I’ve found that the more out-of-the-way places leave the deepest impression.

Most people have a list of favorite spots, from a weekend retreat to a bench with a view of the ocean. As someone who's been lucky enough to spend the last 30 years circling the globe, here is mine. From Zen monasteries to Roman villas, French villages to Incan temples, all possess a unique sense of place and inspire a feeling of quiet wonder.

If you are fortunate enough to have the opportunity, do seek them out; they are still points of the turning world, serene places filled with immense beauty. And if you get up early enough, you may have them to yourself for a little while. A list of specifically American places will follow soon.

Since I make my living reviewing the world’s finest boutique hotels, I have also recommended some nearby places to stay.

1. Italy — The exquisite Villa Farnesina in Rome, hidden away in the Trastevere district, with frescoes by Raphael. It is said that while he was painting the villa, Raphael had an affair with the daughter of a nearby baker, “La Fornarina,” who became the subject of one of his most celebrated and enigmatic portraits. Situated on the west bank of the Tiber River (its name means "Across the Tiber"), the charming medieval neighborhood of Trastevere is a wonderful place to stroll. And in the evening, eat at one of the restaurants in the marvelous Piazza di Santa Maria.

Harper hotel: Hotel de Russie.

2. Australia — Arnhem Land. The Northern Territory is still chiefly populated by Australia’s Aboriginal people, who have inhabited this lonely expanse of outback for more than 40,000 years. During that time, they have left an astonishing legacy of rock art. Virtually every suitable flat surface has been painted, and the area is like a vast outdoor art gallery.

Harper hotel: Seven Spirit Bay.

3. Peru — The Inca capital of Cuzco in the Andes. Largely destroyed by the Spanish conquistadores, its fabulous Coricancha, the golden Temple of the Sun, was incorporated into the Church of Santo Domingo. Centuries later, it was rediscovered, hidden beneath a few inches of stucco. The gold had gone, but much of the extraordinary and evocative structure remained intact.

Harper hotel: Hotel Monasterio.

4. France — The tiny village of Ste.-Anne-la-Palud on the windswept Breton coast. Surrounded by the remains of Hitler’s Atlantic Wall (built to defend against the Allied invasion), it overlooks a couple of miles of glorious ocean-swept sand. Less known than neighboring Normandy, Brittany has many long and scenic beaches, and the Atlantic yields some of the finest seafood to be found anywhere in the world.

Harper hotel: Hôtel de la Plage.

5. England — The lovely, unspoiled Roseland Peninsula in Cornwall, with its mysterious 13th-century church of St. Just in Roseland. The hauntingly beautiful church is set just above a serene tidal creek and is ringed by subtropical gardens. In April, the rhododendrons and azaleas bloom in every imaginable shade of red and purple.

Harper hotel: Hotel Tresanton, St. Mawes.

6. Indonesia — The extraordinarily dramatic and picturesque gorge of the turbulent Ayung River in Bali, near the highland town and artist colony of Ubud. Ten-thousand-foot volcanoes survey a landscape of lush rice terraces. Balinese religion and mythology have constructed a vast and colorful spirit world. In the Ayung Gorge, even foreign visitors begin to sense the landscape’s invisible inhabitants.

Harper hotel: Como Shambhala Estate.

7. Morocco — The road south from Marrakech, crossing the epic Tizi n'Test Pass in the Atlas Mountains then descending toward the fortified town of Taroudant at the gateway to the Sahara. The sinuous drive from the snowcapped peaks to rolling desert sands through small Berber villages is utterly spellbinding.

Harper hotel: La Gazelle d'Or.

8. Namibia — The majestic valley of the Huab River, dominated by the huge massif of the Brandberg (the country’s highest mountain) and home to the famous desert elephant, which have provided endless opportunities for National Geographic’s photographers and filmmakers. More than twice the size of California, Namibia is an arid, sparsely populated country where savagely beautiful deserts extend to the breaking surf of the Skeleton Coast (named for the many shipwrecks caused by strong tides and ferocious winds).

Harper hotel: Damaraland Camp.

9. Japan — The magical Zen garden of Ryoanji temple in Kyoto, constructed from weathered rocks and raked gravel. The capital of Japan from 794 until 1868, Kyoto is a treasure house of Japanese culture, with more than 2,000 temples and shrines. The garden dates to the late 1400s and contains 15 moss-covered stones, of which only 14 are visible at any one time. Only the enlightened can see all 15!

Harper hotel: Tawaraya Ryokan.

10. South Africa — The unbelievably pretty town of Franschhoek, founded in the 17th century by Huguenot (French Protestant) exiles. Just an hour’s drive from Cape Town, it is at the center of the South African wine industry. High, jagged mountains rear out of manicured vineyards. Even the inhabitants of Napa and Sonoma freely concede that the Franschhoek Valley is the most beautiful wine-growing area in the world. Along the main street, you will find craft shops, art galleries and some of South Africa’s finest restaurants. Life feels good!

Harper hotel: Le Quartier Français.

Guest Steve1903

There's not really very many places in the world that I just "have to" see. The only one on my list was the Pyramids and I've seen that now so I guess I'm pretty much done. I do think the mystery of these special places is certainly far more eroded now with all our technology bringing us pictures from around the world. It would have been far more wondrous for travellers in bygone years to see these things for the first time. I kinda envy that in a way although I don't regret being born in an earlier age.

Guest fountainhall

This should be one of the most 'contributed to' threads as we will all have our own ten best lists of places we have visited or wish to visit. I am extremely fortunate because almost all my jobs have required extensive travel. So here are 10 from my best list -

1. Nepal. The Annapurna range. Wandering out of the village of Pokhara in the pitch black of night, I waited for the advent of dawn. First the sky changed to a deep, rich inky blue, before moving through a spectrum of colours as the sun neared the horizon. With that first hint of dark blue, I realised that the clouds I thought I had seen in the dark were in fact mountaintops. As the sun hit the peaks, the snow went through an extraordinary palette of golds, pinks and yellows before standing almost touching-distance away in blazing white. Awesome and awe-inspiring!

2. Cambodia. Angkor Wat. Of all the ancient city states, the huge complex of temples at Angkor is surely one of the most spectacular. From the perfection of the main temple to the more recently discovered ones still clinging to the forest, it is extraordinary to realise that Angkor was a more beautiful and ordered city than any in the west a thousand or so years ago.

3. Spain. Its Moorish art and architecture. The glories of the Moorish empire can still be seen in structures like the extraordinary Alhambra in Granada, the Alcazar Palace in Seville, and my favourite, the Mesquita (the Great Mosque of Cordoba). Completed more than 1,100 years ago, it was the second largest mosque in the Muslim world and is unique with its maze-like forest of double arched columns. After the moors were evicted from Spain, Charles V was persuade to order the demolition of the central park of the mosque and its replacement by part of a gothic Christian Cathedral. He loathed the result, turning on his officials. "You have destroyed something unique to build something commonplace"

Guest fountainhall

I was really hoping that there would be more posts to this sites I am fascinated by what countries/cities/places excite others. Even here in Thailand and Asia there are a lot of relatively unhidden gems (outside the bar scene!). I thought the waterfall in one of jtrack33's photos posted on the thread about GayThailand's bike tour around the country was stunning. I definitely plan to visit - and would not have know about it but for this thread.

Guest fountainhall
Two of the places in the US that should be on the list are The Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls

Agreed - they are both very impressive. But I am told the Iguazu Falls in South America are just mind-blowing.

I also think the mini-Grand Canyon on Kauaii is hugely impressive.

Guest laurence
Two of the places in the US that should be on the list are The Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls.

For certain the Grand Canyon in the USA. Another natural wonder not to be missed is Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. For man made attractions, the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde National Park should be one on every tourist"s list. And to add wonder to wonder are the great Sequoias in Sequoia National Park.

Guest MonkeySee
Agreed - they are both very impressive. But I am told the Iguazu Falls in South America are just mind-blowing.

I also think the mini-Grand Canyon on Kauaii is hugely impressive.

The Copper Canyon in Mexico is bigger than the grand canyon is very impressive, as well. I am told that Victoria Falls in Africa is also a sight to see.