Guest Steve1903

Any legal bods about?

Guest Steve1903

Got a general question regarding status of partner if you choose to "marry" someone from abroad.

In the UK if for istance I wanted to "marry" a Thai guy and live together in UK would this be permitted? Also would said partner then also be allowed to work in UK?

Any info would be helpful but am not really interested in arguments as to whether or not the Thai guy would get even a visitor visa to come over in the first place. Let's please start from the premise that the Thai guy has a visitor visa and is already in UK.

Thanks.

Guest MonkeySee
Got a general question regarding status of partner if you choose to "marry" someone from abroad.

In the UK if for istance I wanted to "marry" a Thai guy and live together in UK would this be permitted? Also would said partner then also be allowed to work in UK?

I should think if the UK has a provision for civil unions or gay marriage and if you adhere to the provisions in that law, then your Thai guy should enjoy whatever that civil union allows. I have no idea what the law entails. Perhaps, a google search will help clear things up.

Guest fountainhall

The UK certainly permits civil partnerships which enjoy the same legal rights as marriage. But I think the Thai partner of a UK citizen also has to satisfy the relevant visa/residency issues - i.e. he may not be able to enjoy employment and/or citizenship rights without the relevant permits. CHeck out -

http://www.stonewall.org.uk/

- and the section of civil partnerships.

Guest MonkeySee

I heard on the news, that the UK has raised the legal age from 18 to 21 for people requesting a marriage visa. Both people need to be 21 years of age now. That sounds like discrimination to me.

I heard on the news, that the UK has raised the legal age from 18 to 21 for people requesting a marriage visa. Both people need to be 21 years of age now. That sounds like discrimination to me.

Not if it applies to straights, as well as, gays. It actually makes sense to me, as it will stop some marriages that are just made for money. Yes, it does happen and some times one partner is unwilling. Check with one of the organizations against human trafficing if you have doubts.

Guest MonkeySee
Not if it applies to straights, as well as, gays. It actually makes sense to me, as it will stop some marriages that are just made for money. Yes, it does happen and some times one partner is unwilling. Check with one of the organizations against human trafficing if you have doubts.

I do not think it is fair to say a man of 18 is an adult but yet cannot marry a foriegner until he is 21. Seems like discrimination to me but if applied across the board, then maybe not.

Guest Steve1903

For the record, the reply I got from a lawyer (friend of a friend...) was

"If you enter into a civil partnership with the guy he would be given leave to live and work in UK for an initial period of two years after which he would be eligible for permanent residence in the UK."

Anyone doubt the veracity of that answer? Any other opinions would be welcome.

Guest MonkeySee
For the record, the reply I got from a lawyer (friend of a friend...) was

"If you enter into a civil partnership with the guy he would be given leave to live and work in UK for an initial period of two years after which he would be eligible for permanent residence in the UK."

I guess that is fair? Without the marriage visa as an option, I suppose it would be very difficult to obtain a visa for an 18 year old to live and work in the UK. I am sure some people found using the marriage visa as an easy way to bring their loved one back to the UK. Sounds like the UK government does not want 18, 19, and 20 year olds in the isles.

Guest Steve1903

It sounds fair and I hope it's as simple as it sounds. I would expect a lot of questions would be asked and probably checks made at some point to see that the couple are actually living together.