Lucky

MoviePass

• Members

Does anyone else have experience with MoviePass? I just bought a pass for about $89 for a year. The first time I used it everything went well. Today I tried but it wouldn't finish the process. The theater clerk said they are having a lot of problems with their app. I went ahead and bought a matinee ticket for $5.95 since I was already there. Do you think MoviePass will refund me?

There has been a lot in the press about how financially sketchy this company is. They are paying ten dollars a ticket, even for those that might sell for $5.95! Conceivably I could lose most of my $89. But, they just bought MovieFone so I doubt they plan to wrap things up soon.

But today required assigned seats, and the pass allowed me to pick one, but it couldn't issue the ticket. So, what good is it?

• Members

When I went to select the topic for my complaint with MoviePass, I was greeted with form answers. I learned that if the app doesn't work and you have to buy a ticket, they don't reimburse you. You are supposed to contact them and have an employee specifically tell you to buy a ticket. Then they will reimburse.

However, if the movie is about to start, are you going to try to connect with a MoviePass employee? Since I didn't get a live one on my attempt to complain, I doubt I would wait for one when the movie is about to start.

• Members

And then there could be operator error.  Certain movies are greyed out because they don't qualify (like IMax , 3D and Special Engagements).  I'm not discounting that there could be application problems.  I just haven't experienced any yet.

• Members

No "operator" error on this one. The ticketing went through all the way to the point where I selected my seat. Then when I clicked E-ticket, MP sent a box saying they were unable to issue the ticket. When I bought the ticket, the theater's seat screen showed that the seat I had selected was taken, I knew that my seat selection had gone through. Just not the ticket. There were only 3 people, including me, watching the movie.

These bugs are valuable to MoviePass because they avoid paying the $10 to the theater. This is the amount they pay even though my tickets was $5.95. SO the theater lost the difference between $10 and $5.95, and Movie Pass saved $10. Do you think they are in any hurry to fix the bugs?