AdamSmith

James Comey slams 'the forest fire that is the Trump presidency' in book

Comey’s rebuke of Trump cuts deep

The former FBI director does more than dish on Trump’s behavior — his book offers a full-throated indictment of Trump’s character.

Former FBI Director James Comey pillories President Donald Trump in his soon-to-be-released book, “A Higher Loyalty,” deriding him as a cruel and selfish liar who is “unethical,” “untethered to truth” and has likely never “recoiled from causing another person pain.”

From jabs at Trump’s height to ruminating on the status of his marriage, Comey leaves little question about how he feels about the 45th president.

But throughout the book, a manuscript of which was obtained by POLITICO, Comey also seeks to draw deeper lessons about leadership — rebukes of Trump and those around him that may be lost in the headlines surrounding the book’s more startling details, like Trump’s apparent obsession with allegations concerning prostitutes in Moscow.

In those passages, though, Comey indicts not only Trump’s character but also that of many around him, and those in power who support and defend him.

Here are some of Comey’s more pointed passages that strike at the center of Trump’s worldview.

A rumination on what it means to live a good life: “Sit there, and imagine you are at the end of your life. From that vantage point, the smoke of striving for recognition and wealth is cleared. Houses, cars, awards on the wall? Who cares? You are about to die. Who do you want to have been? … I hope some of them decide to have been people who used their abilities to help those who needed it — the weak, the struggling, the frightened, the bullied. Standing for something. Making a difference. That is true wealth.”

On liars and lying: “I’ve seen many times over the years how liars get so good at lying, they lose the ability to distinguish between what’s true and what’s not. They surround themselves with other liars. The circle becomes closer and smaller, with those unwilling to surrender their moral compasses pushed out and those willing to tolerate deceit brought closer to the center of power. Perks and access are given to those willing to lie and tolerate lies. This creates a culture, which becomes an entire way of life. The easy, casual lies — those are a very dangerous thing. They open up the path to the bigger lies, in more important places, where the consequences aren’t so harmless.”

On the fragility of institutions: “The actions of one person can destroy what it took hundreds of people years to build.”

On effective leadership: “Effective leaders almost never need to yell. The leader will have created an environment where disappointing him causes his people to be disappointed in themselves. Guilt and affection are far more powerful motivators than fear. … A leader who screams at his employees or belittles them will not attract and retain great talent over the long term.”

On self-reflection: “But transparency is almost always the best course. Getting problems, pain, hopes, and doubts out on the table so we can talk honestly about them and work to improve is the best way to lead. By acknowledging our issues, we have the best chance of resolving them in a healthy way. Buried pain never gets better with age. And by remembering and being open and truthful about our mistakes, we reduce the chance we will repeat them.”

The impostor complex: “All of us labor, to one degree or another, under the belief that if other people really knew us, if they knew us the way we know ourselves, they would think less of us. That’s the impostor complex — the fear that by showing ourselves we will be exposed as the flawed person we are. If you don’t have this, in some measure, you are an incredible jerk and should stop reading immediately.”

On humility: “As I’d seen from other leaders, being confident enough to be humble — comfortable in your own skin — is at the heart of effective leadership. That humility makes a whole lot of things possible, none more important than a single, humble question: ‘What am I missing?’ Good leaders constantly worry about their limited ability to see.”

On Trump’s team: “I once again was having flashbacks to my earlier career as a prosecutor against the Mob. The silent circle of assent. The boss in complete control. The loyalty oaths. The us-versus-them worldview. The lying about all things, large and small, in service of some code of loyalty that put the organization above morality and above the truth.”

On Trump’s impact: “What is happening now is not normal. It is not fake news. It is not okay. Whatever your politics, it is wrong to dismiss the damage to the norms and traditions that have guided the presidency and our public life for decades or, in many cases, since the republic was founded. It is also wrong to stand idly by, or worse, to stay silent when you know better, while a president brazenly seeks to undermine public confidence in law enforcement institutions that were established to keep our leaders in check.” 

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/13/james-comey-book-excerpts-522042

• Members

And his live interview with Stephanopoulos  was eye opening.  He makes some very logical points, but I am not sure its enough of the damage control and redemption he was seeking.   He did make some mistakes with his poor communication with Trump,  but owned up to them.  Bottom line, I believed HIM...

Comey discounted previous theories by some Trump critics that the President is incapable or not mentally up to the job, arguing that what he sees as an ego-driven presidency based on lies, demands for loyalty from subordinates and calculated deceit is no accident.
"He strikes me as a person of above average intelligence who's tracking conversations and knows what's going on. I don't think he's medically unfit to be president. I think he's morally unfit to be president," Comey said.

"A person who sees moral equivalence in Charlottesville, who talks about and treats women like they're pieces of meat, who lies constantly about matters big and small and insists the American people believe it, that person's not fit to be president of the United States, on moral grounds," Comey said.

Comey stressed that he was not making a political point, saying he did not care what people thought about hot button issues like guns or immigration.

"There's something more important than that that should unite all of us, and that is our president must embody respect and adhere to the values that are at the core of this country. The most important being truth," he said. "This president is not able to do that. He is morally unfit to be president."