AdamSmith

Pilot's spectacular photos taken from an airplane cockpit

• Members

Indeed it is amazing what one can see from a cockpit.  Most of these were taken from several 10 thousand feet which provides a spectacular macro view.  Also interesting is much lower such as going from Los Angeles to Seattle at 1500 feet.  ^_^

That lightning is St. Elmo's Fire which is harmless static electricity being discharged from the aircraft.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
On 3/2/2018 at 7:12 PM, TotallyOz said:

Truly spectacular.

Perhaps not as spectacular as one might think.

Low-light images are very difficult to capture without a tripod. A tripod on a moving object, such as an airplane, is kind of laughable. Hand-holding a camera and shooting through thick glass while a plane is in flight? Unless you're getting a fast shutter-speed reading, I don't think so. Even then, you're shooting through non-professional "thick" glass.

To average eyes, a lot of shit looks great on a 72ppi computer screen, because of the science behind backlighting. Pull that shit into Photoshop and zoom to 100%, and then let's see what happens. I'd put serious money on the fact that every photo in that slideshow is out of focus. Any attempt to print those photos = disaster.

Sorry to burst any bubble.

If you want to see "truly spectacular" night photography, check out the talents at http://www.nationalparksatnight.com/.

Unfortunately, you can't judge their work and its perfection by what you see on the internet, because professionals tend to knock down the quality of their images on the internet because of theft. I've seen their prints, and their work is truly spectacular.

DSC_0472.jpg?format=500w

• Members

The specular point is the vantage point, not the technical aspects.  I appreciate the effort if not the result.

Best regards,

RA1 

Guest Larstrup

It's sad that some people cannot simply enjoy the beauty of the world momentarily captured - without feeling the necessity to view it through a lens of perfection.

Perfection is what robs us all of the the most important beauty in our world. Whether that's of our people, natures awe, or fragile personalities which require special handling.

The best photography will always reflect our flaws and imperfections.

• Members
24 minutes ago, RA1 said:

The specular point is the vantage point, not the technical aspects.

Professional photographers and art buyers care about quality details. Ordinary people, not so much. It's sad that most people are ordinary.

A pilot often has the opportunity to see spectacular views. Camera technology is improving by the minute.

Guest Larstrup

Rockhard fails to realize that the number one priority of a pilot is to fly the plane. Any images that he or she might capture during that process, And chooses to share with ordinary people, is not ordinary, it’s spectacular. 

Ordinary people. Let that sink in.

• Members

Larstrup, perhaps you need another drinky-pooh. Pilots aren't the only people taking photographs from aircraft. Everyone with a cellphone is a photographer these days and most ordinary people are really impressed with their captures. 99.9% are shit. If you enjoy shit, then you'll be content.

Guest Larstrup
39 minutes ago, RockHardNYC said:

Larstrup, perhaps you need another drinky-pooh. Pilots aren't the only people taking photographs from aircraft. Everyone with a cellphone is a photographer these days and most ordinary people are really impressed with their captures. 99.9% are shit. If you enjoy shit, then you'll be content.

The purpose of this thread was to share and enjoy images taken by pilots from the cockpit. 

Suffice to say, the only cock-pit you’ve probably ever been in was the Mineshaft in New York; Where I’m sure you would be less critical of ordinary images of yourself, If not blurred all together while navigating through head-winds. :rolleyes:

Guest Larstrup
2 hours ago, RockHardNYC said:

LOL! As if you give a flying cockpit turd about the purpose of any thread.

It’s fascinating that you chose to demean @TotallyOz   For his appreciation of these photos, and most everyone else here who liked them as being ordinary,  when it was @AdamSmith who posted this thread to begin with.

I’m certain that your envy of Adam Smith runs deep. So deep,  that ordinary people here can see just that.

I think Adam Smith was right when he  identified you as being a very lonely person. 

So lonely  for that matter,  you had to PM him to convince him otherwise. Instead of making your case here in public. 

Like a man.

All...

I (as a self-publisher who has had to, at agonizing junctures, master the ghastly Photoshop, like what @RockHard gave us here.

He is severely self-critical, and self-demanding, as am I. And indeed most of us here.

But let us give one another -- as I've said too many times already -- a little bit of leeway here in talking to one another, so that we don't drift into being a mirror of the Other Site.

I personally like the liberty to, occasionally fiercely when needed, nip another poster's ass about one subject-matter thing or another; then get his return fire, and then reply in return, without having to consider that we have permanently burned our bridges with one another.

great gods. Ordinary dinner convo demands less.

Guest Larstrup
5 hours ago, RockHardNYC said:

Perhaps not as spectacular as one might think.

Low-light images are very difficult to capture without a tripod. A tripod on a moving object, such as an airplane, is kind of laughable. Hand-holding a camera and shooting through thick glass while a plane is in flight? Unless you're getting a fast shutter-speed reading, I don't think so. Even then, you're shooting through non-professional "thick" glass.

To average eyes, a lot of shit looks great on a 72ppi computer screen, because of the science behind backlighting. Pull that shit into Photoshop and zoom to 100%, and then let's see what happens. I'd put serious money on the fact that every photo in that slideshow is out of focus. Any attempt to print those photos = disaster.

Sorry to burst any bubble.

If you want to see "truly spectacular" night photography, check out the talents at http://www.nationalparksatnight.com/.

Unfortunately, you can't judge their work and its perfection by what you see on the internet, because professionals tend to knock down the quality of their images on the internet because of theft. I've seen their prints, and their work is truly spectacular.

DSC_0472.jpg?format=500w

Rockhard you really are a piece of shit. Since my first post, you have gone in and edited out from your orginal post every offensive reference of ORDINARY PEOPLE which you originally made numerous times here against the masses. There were four to be exact.

Not only are you a piece of shit, You’re a cowardly piece of shit.

It’s finally understandable why Photoshop is your only friend. It allows you to distort your very worth and truth.

That’s not happening here.

• Members
4 hours ago, Larstrup said:

It’s fascinating that you chose to demean @TotallyOz 

There was no attempt to demean anyone. That's your drama-queen, alcoholic stupor talking. I'm confident Oz is sober and smart enough to realize this.

3 hours ago, Larstrup said:

Rockhard you really are a piece of shit.

I could say the same about you, but I feel sorry for you. Clearly, you have problems. And those problems have nothing to do with me.

3 hours ago, Larstrup said:

Since my first post, you have gone in and edited out from your orginal post every offensive reference of ORDINARY PEOPLE which you originally made numerous times here against the masses.

Again, you clearly have been hitting some kind of bottle. None of my posts on this thread have been edited. If I were you, I would seek help. You are not of sound mind.

• Members
9 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

All...

I (as a self-publisher who has had to, at agonizing junctures, master the ghastly Photoshop, like what @RockHard gave us here.

He is severely self-critical, and self-demanding, as am I. And indeed most of us here.

But let us give one another -- as I've said too many times already -- a little bit of leeway here in talking to one another, so that we don't drift into being a mirror of the Other Site.

I personally like the liberty to, occasionally fiercely when needed, nip another poster's ass about one subject-matter thing or another; then get his return fire, and then reply in return, without having to consider that we have permanently burned our bridges with one another.

great gods. Ordinary dinner convo demands less.

In all fairness, their are some bridges that BEG to be Burned !  

bridgeburn.gif

Adam, I blame this all on you.  You posted photos that I loved and I guess I am not intelligent enough to like anything more than the ordinary.  But, photos are in the eye of the beholder. I find the beautiful.  I had one of my Maltese riding up front with the pilots as they always loved me bring my male dogs with diamond collars on board. They thought the dogs were more diva than a real diva so what the fuck do pilots know?

I digress.  How care you put up photos I enjoy looking at. The gall of you.  Shame. Shame. Shame. (said like the brotherhood as Cersi walks down the street nude).

• Members

Here I was enjoying pix from a fellow pilot via a link from AS and hoping others were enjoying them also.  How can this much fun turn into a pissing contest?  Now you know the real reason the cockpit door is closed in flight.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
1 hour ago, TotallyOz said:

You posted photos that I loved and I guess I am not intelligent enough to like anything more than the ordinary.

The photos in the slideshow are far from ordinary. They manage to capture spectacle from a unique perspective that is not easy to make perfect, given the technology available today and the limits of the science of photography. The point is simple and it doesn't require a rarefied intellect: internet photos are deceiving. At 72 pixels-per-inch - which is the maximum resolution allowed on the internet, a useless resolution except for use on the internet - one cannot expect much in the realm of quality.

As for intelligence, anyone can learn about the science of photography. These days, you don't need to spend thousands of dollars like I did or even get a college degree. There are so many online resources teaching digital for the cost of your cable service, any ordinary person with patience and motivation can learn the science and the craft. A lazy mind is such a waste.