Guest mrb43

Pull the price tags?

I am in Brasil on vacation from Los Angeles.

I've purchased about R$ 850 in gifts (sungas, teeshirts, etc) that I plan to bring back to the US when I depart next week.

A US friend has suggested that I separate the gifts from their gift bags and pull off the price tags - I guess in an effort to make them look like I brought them in with me.

Any need to do this?  

Thank you.

• Members

No need. Why risk having to lie to CBP to cover a lie on the form, and having your body language scrutinized, Pinocchio? Are you not allowed $800USD exemption as long as 30 days have elapsed since previous re-entry (or you want full allowable exemption subsequent re-entry?). And if there is suspicion do you want them to check all your belongings for manufacturing details? Untag, unpackage, launder, whatever, that is your prerogative. But I suggest transparency. 

• Members

Declare everything.  I once delivered a plane to the Bahamas and a down payment was made in cash.  ($30,000)  I pre-cleared US customs in Nassau and told them I had over $5,000 on me.  They took me aside and asked me why.  I told them.  They put me on the plane without further ado.

Best regards,

RA1