Tomcal

Best days at Saunas

• Members
47 minutes ago, SolaceSoul said:

No more fun sleaze left in NYC. You can thank Guiliani for its Disney-fication.

I thought so. I can remember seeing a documentary on the NYC scene a while back, looked fun!

What would be similar now? Circuit parties, sauna scene in Brazil etc.?

• Members
On 02/02/2018 at 10:02 PM, Tomcal said:

I loved NYC in the 90's , Stellas, Cats, Gaeity, etc.  I miss it!

Stella's was great.  Lots of good times.  Did you make Rounds?   East 53rd Street and Third Avenue.  Closed down by the City by mid-'90s.   Just across the street from the Brazilian Pavilion, which made for some interesting possibilities, although that entire block was one massive cruising area.   

• Members
1 hour ago, ferrar said:

Stella's was great.  Lots of good times.  Did you make Rounds?   East 53rd Street and Third Avenue.  Closed down by the City by mid-'90s.   Just across the street from the Brazilian Pavilion, which made for some interesting possibilities, although that entire block was one massive cruising area.   

Rounds was out of this Earth, it cannot possibly be ever replicated. There is even a book entirely written about it, titled "Rounds- A memoir" by Charles Scaglione Sr, is currently out of print but available used at Amazon right now for a kind of steep price of $800,00 +, that's not a misprint, I check from time to time, I've seen in the $100.00 range before, but still high for me. In case anyone is wondering Rounds was a hustle bar to end all hustle bars. Patronized by Geffen, Calvin and all billionaires you can think about. One can just imagine what kind of meat was available. Not of Giuliani liking that raided and closed it in the early nineties.

I found this interesting article for the older gents who remember those hustler bars bars...The only one that I remember was Stellas which closed in the early 2000s

Those clubs closed for more than just the mayor wanting to change the view of certain areas in NYC...

http://www.papermag.com/10-sleazy-gay-places-from-nycs-glory-days-1427524835.html

• Members
1 hour ago, Badboy81 said:

I found this interesting article for the older gents who remember those hustler bars bars...The only one that I remember was Stellas which closed in the early 2000s

Those clubs closed for more than just the mayor wanting to change the view of certain areas in NYC...

http://www.papermag.com/10-sleazy-gay-places-from-nycs-glory-days-1427524835.html

Very good article, is important to notice that Rounds was quite different for all the others, not a sleaze place at all, on the contrary, very very classy. By the addresses it can be seen that is the only one located on the East Side, upper midtown, no less, and lived up to expectations of the area. No drag queens if I can remember just a real piano man, at the entrance, playing Broadway tunes, surrounded by customers that actually knew the lyrics, all of them drama queens that have seen every show since the forties.In the middle and at the end were the out-of-this-world working boys and the younger customers with disco/early house on the sound  system, but no DJ! Idon't think that in it's 15 or so years that existed, it had ever had a stage, and absolutely no back room! the pretty boys were the only attraction and the possibility of taking one (or two) home was enough to keep the place full. There was a door man but not a dress code, one could be dressed casual, but it had to be tidy, otherwise no admission. Nobody would dare to get shirtless, it would be thrown out and never able to return.

The Anvil and The Minesahft were  closed by the city in the mid- eighties during Mayor Koch because of the AIDS health crisis, their notorious back rooms could help spread the virus and the sensasionalist press would refer to these places as "AIDS dens". 

Giuliani could not use the same argument against Rounds, since they didn't have sex on premises, so he claimed the owners facilitated prostitution, arrested and put them on jail. The mob ties did not help.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:53 PM, Gotti said:

Very good article, is important to notice that Rounds was quite different for all the others, not a sleaze place at all, on the contrary, very very classy. By the addresses it can be seen that is the only one located on the East Side, upper midtown, no less, and lived up to expectations of the area. No drag queens if I can remember just a real piano man, at the entrance, playing Broadway tunes, surrounded by customers that actually knew the lyrics, all of them drama queens that have seen every show since the forties.In the middle and at the end were the out-of-this-world working boys and the younger customers with disco/early house on the sound  system, but no DJ! Idon't think that in it's 15 or so years that existed, it had ever had a stage, and absolutely no back room! the pretty boys were the only attraction and the possibility of taking one (or two) home was enough to keep the place full. There was a door man but not a dress code, one could be dressed casual, but it had to be tidy, otherwise no admission. Nobody would dare to get shirtless, it would be thrown out and never able to return.

The Anvil and The Minesahft were  closed by the city in the mid- eighties during Mayor Koch because of the AIDS health crisis, their notorious back rooms could help spread the virus and the sensasionalist press would refer to these places as "AIDS dens". 

ROUNDS (303 E. 53rd Street)
Before the Internet, grandpa types had to grab their walkers and track down hustlers in person. So they went to this faux-swellegant place--which opened in 1979--and amid the tasteful trappings and floral displays, they found love on a one-way street, and paid for it.

• Members

Totally wrong, a happening place that became such because a group of elderly  citizens? Certainly not in NYC! The elder gents were present but a minority around the piano player, their presence was appreciated because besides the money they would bring some cultural assets for those so inclined.  The vast majority were guys in the thirties and forties who never got over the barely legal delights, even guys on their twenties trying to get  a bite on the stuff that have never been on their plates. The age brackets were not that different from any place were love is for sale. The differential was the lavish ambience and the heavenly boys. Cats and Stella's hustlers wouldn't make the cut, besides,  they wouldn't even know how to behave.

• Members
On 2/4/2018 at 7:20 PM, Gotti said:

Rounds was out of this Earth, it cannot possibly be ever replicated. There is even a book entirely written about it, titled "Rounds- A memoir" by Charles Scaglione Sr, is currently out of print but available used at Amazon right now for a kind of steep price of $800,00 +, that's not a misprint, I check from time to time, I've seen in the $100.00 range before, but still high for me. In case anyone is wondering Rounds was a hustle bar to end all hustle bars. Patronized by Geffen, Calvin and all billionaires you can think about. One can just imagine what kind of meat was available. Not of Giuliani liking that raided and closed it in the early nineties.

I loved Rounds as well, except that I was always intimidated and never hired there. Some really hot guys, some apparently really rich men, and I didn't feel that I could compete. But, it was so much fun to watch.

Stella's was fun, too, and I did hire a bit out of there. It was fascinating watching the dance between interested parties as they often slowly negotiatied the terms. So many hot guys, lots of Latinos.

Then, of course, the Crown Jewel. The Gaiety was my Friday and Saturday night home. Loved seeing guys dance naked on the stage, loved the erections that came with part two. Loved the interaction in the lounge where the deals were made. I had a favorite there, Antonio, who was very hot and exceptionally honest. Believed in giving the performance you wanted. He took it very seriously. From San Diego, he retired and joined a Christian Missionary group, but stated that he had no regrets to his work at the Gaiety. I miss him.

• Members

Yeah, I totally agree with you, Rounds was spectacular but somehow a little intimidating, I got there sometimes just for the eye candy, knowing that I would be not able to hire, I did very few times, Gayety was my favourite by far, is important to notice that was not a bar but a theatre. I loved the Montreal guys, Denise had a contract with a Montreal place and every week at least they had 2 guys making the trip. Giuliani try to close but could not because they were inside the permited zoning. Unfortunately they lost their lease, the Howard Johnson next door was gone as well.

• Members

Rounds was phenomenal. I caught the last year or so of it. I had just come from London and was working as a newbie on Wall Street. The men for hire were top shelf. Some were top fashion models, aspiring actors, competitive and semi-pro bodybuilders and athletes. As mentioned above, Calvin Klein was a regular patron. The description of Rounds in the article is wholly inaccurate and does not even do it the justice it deserves.

Cats and The Show Palace (not Show World, as the article states in the honorable mentions) were THE places for free and paid for black and Latino hustler trade. Then, those places were later replaced or surpassed by Stella’s and the peep show on 34th and 8th — which eventually were closed by the early to mid 2000s as well. Nothing has replaced them since.

There were several video stores and movie houses along Christopher Street and West Side Highway in the Village that had similarly, more streetwise action. Those places were all gone by 2000 or so. That gayborhood has been replaced by nannies with baby carriages. As property values in NYC have skyrocketed, the sexual energy of the city has inversely diminished. The City is now just a sanitized bore.

• Members
17 hours ago, Gotti said:

So you were not around during the non-Giuliani years! Only caught the last of 15 years or so but do know all about it. That's very brave!

Yes, I moved to NYC in 1994, Guiliani’s first year as Mayor. I had visited, each for a week at a time, once a year starting in 1991, I believe, and each time, I had hit the scene. 

By the close of 1995, I think, Show Palace and Cats were no more. Rounds closed near the end of 1994. Only Stella’s, The Gaiety and that peep show for hustler trade on 8th Ave. & 34th raged on until their bitter ends.

• Members

What new mayor, pray tell? He is 15 months into his term. This was discussed here a long while back. "Crivella da Villa" is now in the spotlight as he took a bogus expensed business trip to Europe during recent festivities and it has been shown to have been personal ... big surprise.

I doubt any of the multitude of brothels will be targetted. They help keep sex trade structured and off the streets. Fingers crossed, though.

• Members
8 minutes ago, Riobard said:

What new mayor, pray tell? He is 15 months into his term. This was discussed here a long while back. "Crivella da Villa" is now in the spotlight as he took a bogus expensed business trip to Europe during recent festivities and it has been shown to have been personal ... big surprise.

I doubt any of the multitude of brothels will be targetted. They help keep sex trade structured and off the streets. Fingers crossed, though.

Hope you're right! I only mentioned it in the context of what happened in New York after Guilliani took over.

Back to the the sauna scene --I only had the chance to visit 202 this recent Carnival-- and it was very good on Wednesday nights--and not too bad on a Thursday either(though that is not usually one of it's busier nights).  I have to say 202 seemed cleaner and slightly spiffed up from what I remember. I really like the fact that there was plenty of soap, hot water, and unlimited towels. That would seem to be a given at a sauna but sometimes finding hot water and soap at Meio Mundo and to a lessor extent 117 was a challenge in the past. 

• Members
1 hour ago, SolaceSoul said:

Yes, I moved to NYC in 1994, Guiliani’s first year as Mayor. I had visited, each for a week at a time, once a year starting in 1991, I believe, and each time, I had hit the scene. 

By the close of 1995, I think, Show Palace and Cats were no more. Rounds closed near the end of 1994. Only Stella’s, The Gaiety and that peep show for hustler trade on 8th Ave. & 34th raged on until their bitter ends.

I was curious to know about the innacuracies contained on my description of Rounds, I was kinda surprised cause I thought was a fair account of the place and the scene.

• Members

Mon Jan 1 was one of the worst days at a sauna ... 202. I popped in for a drink before it got busy, not sure what to anticipate but low expectations. About 6 PM, an enormous crashing sound: a few square feet of the thick ceiling plaster gave way in huge heavy chunks and landed on one of the red vinyl banquettes (at 3 o'clock, given stage is 12 o''clock). Good thing nobody was perched there.

Before long about 25 tourists had arrived but slim pickens, about 5 working guys, not surprisingly. 

It is reasonably hygienic there but structurally dicey and the vibes from excessively loud subwoofers do not help. Jr was contacted immediately and by Wed it was repaired. I doubt their liability insurance is impressive. 

• Members
2 hours ago, asdsrfr said:

Apparently the new mayor of Rio is religiously conservative, anti-carnival(yes I know hard to believe in Rio) and anti-gay. Hopefully he will not try to make any moves on the saunas during his term which recently started.

I would not be concerned about the sauna scene, he is a moron and is only disturbed by what he sees. Carnival is a huge promiscuity baccanalia and he, as a member of the religious right, would have it wiped out from the face of the Earth, since he could not, he went far away (to Sweden!) to pretend it was not happening.

Giuliani was a different beast, he wanted to clean up New York night life, arresting small time drug dealers, the ones that hang out at clubs with ecstasy and coke (the big fishes are still around of course and always will be), prohibiting dancing almost everywhere ( you had to have a license issued 4 decades ago!. This of course was the kiss of death for gay night-clubs. The big straight Discos had to close as well and the gay nigh life, which was more of a niche, was virtually decimated. New York gay night life is s complete joke nowadays, boring as hell.

The Rio Mayor did not have to do any of that, the gay scene night life destroyed itself, it was already weak, the few night spots went out of business, little by little, Grindr and the like certainly had a hand, plus ridiculous drink prices and outrageous entrance fees. The Week I believe the only remaining night spot, only opens on Saturday nights, is not exclusively gay and the only 2 times I was there they were charging $50,00 to get in! NYC's Roxy, the equivalent in size and also a Saturday only affair, was charging $20,00 at it's prime, so you have the idea. Gay night life in Rio is nothing short of pathetic, much much worse than New York and Sao Paulo.

• Members

Erm, Boate (Boite) 1140 is one of the main LGBTQ nightclubs but it is quite a bit inland, in an area a little upscale for me, and clowns of all types  terrify me ... 

IMG_9960.PNG

IMG_9959.PNG

IMG_9958.PNG

IMG_9957.PNG

IMG_9956.PNG

IMG_9955.PNG

• Members

Is on the wrong side of the tracks, to put it mildly, very far (like one hour by car from Copacabana), only on weekends and close to several favelas. There are some cute boys from the area on both 117 and 202, so probably there are some more in the vicinity, but I doubt is worth the risk, never been to tell the truth. Only go there, in case you are curious, in company of somebody from the community.