Guest Steve1903

Tiger Temple

Guest Steve1903

I seem to recall on one of the boards - here or elsewhere, dont remember - this place run by monks got a bit of a slating for mistreating the tigers. Watched the tail end of a docu type prog this morning which was focusing on this place and the tiger expert guy seemed really pleased with what goes on at the Temple. It's got to be better than Tiger Zoo where they have the animals jumping through hoops of fire etc and it's certainly a place I'll go visit when next I'm over.

There's also a new "tiger farm" that recently opened up in Chiangmai. It's about 10 miles northwest of Chiangmai by Mae Rim.

Decent facility to have lunch and see a fair number of tigers. For extra baht (500, if my memory is right) you can go into three cages with a handler and go pet (carefully) adult tiger, ones that are maybe 30 pounds (maybe 4-5 months old?), and ones that are maybe 8-10 pounds (not sure of their age but young). And, of course, you can take photos very up-close to the little beasts.

I visited the place in mid-October and did pay extra to get into the two cages without the adult tigers. I didn't go into the adult tiger enclosure as I have a general rule not to pet anything that can eat me....

Then, of course, there is the Sri Racha Tiger Zoo that's by Chon Buri but that's really more like a zoo in general - and you won't be petting anything there unless you take your bf....

Here's a shot I took of a medium-sized and baby tiger:

425146089_jNtme-M.jpg

425146091_JY2R3-M.jpg

Guest MonkeySee
There's also a new "tiger farm" that recently opened up in Chiangmai. It's about 10 miles northwest of Chiangmai by Mae Rim.

Thanks for the info, Bob. The tiger farm sounds like an interesting outing. Is this one run by monks, too?

Decent facility to have lunch and see a fair number of tigers. For extra baht (500, if my memory is right) you can go into three cages with a handler and go pet (carefully) adult tiger, ones that are maybe 30 pounds (maybe 4-5 months old?), and ones that are maybe 8-10 pounds (not sure of their age but young). And, of course, you can take photos very up-close to the little beasts.

I visited the place in mid-October and did pay extra to get into the two cages without the adult tigers. I didn't go into the adult tiger enclosure as I have a general rule not to pet anything that can eat me.....

I think I could handle the 8-10 pound tigers, but not sure of a 30 pounds tiger. He could really do some damage if upset. Were you a little nervous?

No, the new tiger farm is not run by monks.

Nervous, I was a little around the bigger ones and petted one from a distance (ready to pull back my hand in a nano second). Others, including my bf, got up right next to the middle-sized one but I kept more distance. But they're pretty docile/sleepy during the day.

By the way, I guess the official name of the place is Tiger Kingdom.