Guest Larstrup

'The Assassination of Gianni Versace'

Guest Larstrup

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story isn't what you might expect. 

Stylish and vivid, violent and colorful, the newest installment of FX's American Crime Story anthology series (Wednesday, 10 ET/PT, ★★★½ out of four) is not a courtroom drama like 2016's The People v. O.J. Simpson. Nor is it really the story of the death of Gianni Versace, the famed fashion designer who was shot dead on the steps of his Miami Beach villa in 1997. 

Instead, the nine-episode series, from executive producers Ryan Murphy and Tom Rob Smith, based on the book Vulgar Favors by Maureen Orth, is the story of spree killer Andrew Cunanan, who claimed Versace as his fifth and final victim. The series spins backward in time, peeling back the layers of one of America's most enigmatic killers, brought to life with disturbing energy and commitment by Darren Criss, who has decidedly left his wholesome Glee character in the dust

I thoroughly enjoyed The People v. O.J. Simpson.  Tomorrow night might be different, but I’m giving it a shot.

Guest Larstrup
9 hours ago, Lucky said:

Larstrup" "I'm giving it a shot."

LOL. good line about a movie involving gunshots.

It was .22 caliber humor at best! But hey! I’m here through Thursday, try the veal! :rolleyes:

Guest Larstrup
14 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

;)

During filming of “Dr. Strangelove,” in the "War Room," the President (Peter Sellers) and Soviet Ambassador, with George C. Scott at right, 1963: ( from Michael Beschloss)

1825_ED05-0_AA7-45_A3-_B5_BA-7_DAC044876

Guest Larstrup
14 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

;)

During filming of “Dr. Strangelove,” in the "War Room," the President (Peter Sellers) and Soviet Ambassador, with George C. Scott at right, 1963: ( from Michael Beschloss)

1825_ED05-0_AA7-45_A3-_B5_BA-7_DAC044876

• Members

Not sure how we got from Versace to Slim Pickens,  but I totally enjoyed the first episode and the performances of those actors than could ACT  (sorry Ricky Martin, not you!)   . But you are pretty, Ricky !!!!   Darren Criss as Cunnan is creepy and HOT at the same time, and Penelope as Donatella makes Donatella wish she looked like that !   

I think the show will tell us more than we originally knew about this story ?    I like it !    

Guest Larstrup
On 1/25/2018 at 7:40 PM, Suckrates said:

2 episodes in.....Loving this show....   Wasnt aware Versace had AIDS, which they tried hide to keep hidden,  although his open relationship with his partner was well documented. 

I’m only two episodes in (episode three is still in the DVR), but I too, am feeling this production.  Penelope Cruz is killing it as Donatella Versace. 

But sadly, casting Ricky Martin as Versace‘s lover, when Lurch from the Adams Family was probably available, or at least re-creatable, is unfortunate. He’s just that bad.

33_D1125_D-9_D3_A-4451-8465-39_EA65_AE35

And even though the Versace family has denounced this production as a work of fiction, Donatella Versace, Immediately after viewing it beforehand, sent Penelope Cruz a huge arrangement of flowers. 

As @Suckrates  posted earlier, I don’t believe any of us knew that Gianni had HIV or AIDS.  It was unclear in episode twi how progressed his HIV was, but he did apparently respond fairly well to the therapies back then. Obviously from what we know now, his life would’ve been cut short regardless, even if Andrew Cunanan had never shot him dead. 

I suspect the Versace family is probably more upset about his HIV status being exposed than any dramatic license being taken in this production.