12 hours ago, BiBottomBoy said:

My bets on CNN winning everything

My bet's on...

Robert Mueller, the Eye of Sauron

By ROBIN BATES | Published: NOVEMBER 27, 2017
Special-counsel-Robert-Mueller-768x508.jSpecial-counsel-Robert-Mueller.jpg

Special Counsel Robert Mueller

Monday

Comedy is one of the few things keeping me sane these days as Donald Trump continues to attack democratic norms. Seth Meyers’s “A Closer Look” is one of my must-sees, and recently the late-night comedian wondered how Donald Trump and associates are feeling as Special Counselor Robert Mueller bears down on them.  “Mueller is like the eye of Sauron,” Meyers said.

Frodo’s encounter with the eye in Gadriel’s mirror is terrifying:

But suddenly the Mirror went altogether dark, as dark as if a hole had opened in the world of sight, and Frodo looked into emptiness. In the black abyss there appeared a single Eye that slowly grew, until it filled nearly all the Mirror. So terrible was it that Frodo stood rooted, unable to cry out or to withdraw his gaze. The Eye was rimmed with fire, but was itself glazed, yellow as a cat’s, watchful and intent, and the black slit of its pupil opened on a pit, a window into nothing. Then the Eye began to rove, searching this way and that; and Frodo knew with certainty and horror that among the many things that it sought he himself was one. But he also knew that it could not see him—not yet, not unless he willed it. The Ring that hung upon its chain about his neck grew heavy, heavier than a great stone, and his head was dragged downwards. The Mirror seemed to be growing hot and curls of steam were rising from the water. He was slipping forward.

My worry is that Trump will panic under Mueller’s relentless gaze and do something epically destructive, like start a war with North Korea. In other words, that he will become Sauron.

Following this line of thought, the GOP leaders in Congress have become Nazgul, emptied out of principle and responsive only to the call of their leader. Middle Earth hangs in the balance.

The rest of us must be Frodo-strong. In the mirror scene, Frodo is recalled to his senses by Galdriel–think of her as our higher selves–and when he faces his greatest challenge on Mount Doom, the good that he has done saves him. The Resistance, like Tolkien’s fellowship, can take heart from that.

http://betterlivingthroughbeowulf.com/robert-mueller-the-eye-of-sauron/

1 minute ago, RA1 said:

Why resist the urge to not be sane?  :)

Best regards,

RA1

Particularly as, in these current times, it may be the only path back to sanity.

(I actually kind of do mean that.)

My 2 years in NYC were certainly anything but sane. Yet they ultimately saved me.

B)

These insane times are revealing all number of pathologies -- on left, right, and in the heart of our institutions -- that we have averted our eyes from for far too long.

In that sense, I still believe Trump, and Trumpism, will end up being a good tonic for the Body Politic, and the Republic.

3 minutes ago, RA1 said:

You cannot save the world.  You will be lucky if you save yourself.  :(

Best regards,

RA1

I have no intention of trying to do either one, any more.

They can both go fend for themselves. ^_^

(Although again, as mentioned previous, I DO intend to live forever. Just to annoy the bastards! :lol: )

• Members
5 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

These insane times are revealing all number of pathologies -- on left, right, and in the heart of our institutions -- that we have averted our eyes from for far too long.

In that sense, I still believe Trump, and Trumpism, will end up being a good tonic for the Body Politic, and the Republic.

As in catharsis?  Unfortunately I believe far too many have not averted their eyes and in fact are just not looking full stop.

Best regards,

RA1

11 minutes ago, RA1 said:

As in catharsis?  Unfortunately I believe far too many have not averted their eyes and in fact are just not looking full stop.

Give it time...?

Bringing down Nixon took two (at least :wacko: ) years.

The Civil War took five years, more or less.

Patience.

The Republic is durable. Madison and Washington, and Adams et al., were infinitely wiser -- and cleverer -- than any of US today.

constitution-page1.jpg

13 hours ago, BiBottomBoy said:

Eh. I think these times are going to lead to fascism. And that takes either decades or a very bloody war to stop.

I shudder.

That's the European way.

We'll see if it's becoming the American way. I don't think so.

Events will prove me either very naive, or very American.

Or both together. Which will say something!

The thing is polls show that large numbers of  white people want a strong authoritarian leader.

They like the idea of being told what to do and to understand what the rules are.

And they are super motivated at the polls.

Someone once said "when fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in a flag and holding a bible."

That's what's happening now.

5 hours ago, BiBottomBoy said:

The thing is polls show that large numbers of  white people want a strong authoritarian leader.

They like the idea of being told what to do and to understand what the rules are.

And they are super motivated at the polls.

Someone once said "when fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in a flag and holding a bible."

That's what's happening now.

I am as alarmed as you are at current conditions, but at the same time I think detectable trends for the 2018 elections point to the beginnings of a large correction.