TotallyOz

Days without a Computer

My 27inch IMac died.  So, I used my MacBook Pro.  It died the same day.  So, I have been on an IPad for about a week and it was not easy.  Finally, my IMac is in the shop (still under warranty) and my MacBook Pro is dead as a doornail.  I'm going to take it to a friend who has a young son as he loves playing with these things and let him dissect it while we have dinner one night.  It was an old 17 inch and I hated to see it go but it was really only used when an issue with the IMac.

I considered getting a PC again.  I really really considered it! But, I finally gave in and got the new MacPro with the little strip at the top for doing things which I don't know yet but it does let me use my fingerprints.  You think they were shared with NSA? ^_^

This is the first time in nearly 15 years, since Stef LaCoste, introduced me to Macs that I have had to question the company.  Recently though, the update slowed down all my computers and my Iphone 6plus is friggin slow that I have not yet decided if I'll get another Apple or an Android.  I loved Apple for years.  The indecision of this event caused me days of anguish as I have spent so much money on music, applications and accessories.

In the end, the HP I looked at gave a one year warranty only and the Apple I could get 3 years extended and that made the difference for me.

14 minutes ago, TotallyOz said:

This is the first time in nearly 15 years, since Stef LaCoste, introduced me to Macs that I have had to question the company.  Recently though, the update slowed down all my computers and my Iphone 6plus is friggin slow that I have not yet decided if I'll get another Apple or an Android.  I loved Apple for years.  The indecision of this event caused me days of anguish as I have spent so much money on music, applications and accessories.

In the end, the HP I looked at gave a one year warranty only and the Apple I could get 3 years extended and that made the difference for me.

It kills me to say it out loud, but Apple has lost -- or is more and more rapidly losing -- its mojo and magic.

On December 26 last year I had to replace my laptop. I ended up choosing a Dell -- not something in my wildest dreams I would have imagined just a few short years ago.

But, with its hardware capabilities (list $799, after-Christmas special at Best Buy had it at just $599) plus the truly very very good Windows 10 (Microsoft at last having once again a far-more-than-competent CEO), it is the best laptop I have ever experienced.

Apple's days at the top of the heap, in computerdom at least, look to be over. For now.

We'll see what lies ahead.

2 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

It kills me to say it out loud, but Apple has lost -- or is more and more rapidly losing -- its mojo and magic.

it is the best laptop I have ever experienced.

Apple's days at the top of the heap, in computerdom at least, look to be over. For now.

I have to agree with you and think their dominance and loyal customer base will diminish.  For me, all equipment is Mac.  This was the only hesitation I have had in 15 years. Had I been in the USA where I could have gotten longer warranties, I feel I would be typing this on a PC.

13 minutes ago, TotallyOz said:

I have to agree with you and think their dominance and loyal customer base will diminish.  For me, all equipment is Mac.  This was the only hesitation I have had in 15 years. Had I been in the USA where I could have gotten longer warranties, I feel I would be typing this on a PC.

It goes to show, among other things, the vital importance of the individuals in charge. Without Jobs -- a horror of a human being, OK, OK, sob sisters, but a driver where people need to be driven (I myself spent 21 years with a far-too-demanding boss; but OTOH very willingly on my part -- and he and I together ultimately got infinitely more out of me than I knew I had in me) -- Apple may be slowly spinning down.

Whereas Dell still has Michael Dell -- a somewhat (not entirely!) different personality than Jobs, but the principle is the same. You need the leader to lead.

• Members
29 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

On December 26 last year I had to replace my laptop. I ended up choosing a Dell -- not something in my wildest dreams I would have imagined just a few short years ago.

But, with its hardware capabilities (list $799, after-Christmas special at Best Buy had it at just $599) plus the truly very very good Windows 10 (Microsoft at last having once again a far-more-than-competent CEO), it is the best laptop I have ever experienced.

Interesting you chose Dell. I have been a Dell client for 15 years and last December I got tired of them and switch to a Mac Book Air. I agree on your comments about Apple's quality not being at the same level once was, but still I am very happy with my switch.

What kept me coming back to Dell was their Technical Support Service. Every single device they sold me (my first was a desktop, then a XPS, an Alienware, and a Steam Machine) had a lot of technical problems and required a lot of fixes. The drop that filled the bucket was the last device, the Steam Machine. I had to send it twice back to the shop because of defective pieces. I lost my patience when the fucking thing still did not work after the second sending back to the shop, and wanted to return the piece of crap. They did not accept the refund, because it was more than 30 days after the purchase. Even when the device had been for 2 weeks in the shop, one week each time I had to send it back. I tried to return it on day 35 and they did not accept it, not even when I had been a loyal client for 15 years. Fuck Dell. I sent it a third time to the shop, they finally fixed it, and I continued paying the installments for months. I hate so much that little piece of shit sitting in my entertainment center.