torogen

New Cuba Travel Restrictions Nov 8 2017

• Members

I find it annoying that we have now gone (halfway) back to the old travel restrictions for travel to Cuba from the US. I had already bought a ticket to travel to Cuba over Thanksgiving, and now the Trump administration has announced new travel restrictions. They are, to say the least, confusing. Americans are still allowed to travel, but not allowed to do business with certain shops and hotels and businesses that are rumored/believed to be connected to Cuba's military. There are now restrictions on certain categories of travel (people-to-people, for example). But you can still go and stay in an AirBNB/casa particular, something that was explicitly spelled out by Marco Rubio on Twitter. Some sources are saying that the new policy is very restrictive, while others are saying it's only a partial roll-back. Part of the trouble is the enforcement piece--since it has been basically left to travelers to self-police, what will the future bring in terms of scrutiny of travelers, itineraries, etc.? And will US-based airlines begin canceling flights and routes?  http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/359354-trumps-cuba-policy-allows-airbnb-stays-for-americans

• Members
On 11/8/2017 at 7:47 PM, torogen said:

I find it annoying that we have now gone (halfway) back to the old travel restrictions for travel to Cuba from the US. I had already bought a ticket to travel to Cuba over Thanksgiving, and now the Trump administration has announced new travel restrictions. They are, to say the least, confusing. Americans are still allowed to travel, but not allowed to do business with certain shops and hotels and businesses that are rumored/believed to be connected to Cuba's military. There are now restrictions on certain categories of travel (people-to-people, for example). But you can still go and stay in an AirBNB/casa particular, something that was explicitly spelled out by Marco Rubio on Twitter. Some sources are saying that the new policy is very restrictive, while others are saying it's only a partial roll-back. Part of the trouble is the enforcement piece--since it has been basically left to travelers to self-police, what will the future bring in terms of scrutiny of travelers, itineraries, etc.? And will US-based airlines begin canceling flights and routes?  http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/359354-trumps-cuba-policy-allows-airbnb-stays-for-americans

...read this across the bottom of my television screen all today.  ...kept saying to myself: FUCK TRUmp and those friggin' repressive policies.  I'm going when I want to and return back as well.  I'll stay in places where I damn well please as well as eat at restaurants of my chosing.  Might have to travel to Mexico and go that way if he fucks up the current airline routes.

I'm seriously thinking about going in March of next year.  I'll book my own flights, travel and stay with a family or perhaps in an Airbnb apartment, tour on my own with a guide in Havana to places of my own interest, then join my People-to-People tour.

Trump is NOT good for this country or for the world in general.  I truly wish something bad would happen to this prick!  He's been one hell of an incompetent "leader" for one whole year way too long!

THANKS for posting what you did!

• Members

Here is

16 hours ago, axiom2001 said:

...read this across the bottom of my television screen all today.  ...kept saying to myself: FUCK TRUmp and those friggin' repressive policies.  I'm going when I want to and return back as well.  I'll stay in places where I damn well please as well as eat at restaurants of my chosing.  Might have to travel to Mexico and go that way if he fucks up the current airline routes.

I'm seriously thinking about going in March of next year.  I'll book my own flights, travel and stay with a family or perhaps in an Airbnb apartment, tour on my own with a guide in Havana to places of my own interest, then join my People-to-People tour.

Trump is NOT good for this country or for the world in general.  I truly wish something bad would happen to this prick!  He's been one hell of an incompetent "leader" for one whole year way too long!

THANKS for posting what you did!

Here is a website which gives the latest on djt's repressive move: www.travelandleisure.com/travel--tips/travel-warnings/cuba-travel-restrictions-trump

• Members
22 hours ago, axiom2001 said:

Here is

Here is a website which gives the latest on djt's repressive move: www.travelandleisure.com/travel--tips/travel-warnings/cuba-travel-restrictions-trump

I am highly opposed to the newest restrictions as well as the former ones prior to former President Obama's lifting of some.  Here are two other relevant websites to consult.

www.travelskills.com/2017/11/08/travel-restrictions-cuba/

www.treasury.gov/.../Documents/guidance-cuba-travel.pdf  

[I typed correctly; ...hope they come up with just a click.  If not, type in your own browser.]

• Members
On 11/10/2017 at 1:15 PM, axiom2001 said:

Here is

It should have read as follows: www.travelandleisure.com/travel-tips/travel-warnings/cuba-restricted-list-travel

• Members

The government released some clarification about the banned businesses list. It is meant as a ban on direct dealings with those businesses. So, for instance, if you are at a restaurant that is not on the list, you don't have to worry what kind of rum the bartender is putting in your mojito. You just can't visit one of the two banned distilleries and buy a bottle of rum. And in truth it seems like the regulations are mostly targeting businesses that might be investing in Cuba, to discourage US companies from partnering with certain businesses (or even certain shopping districts) in Cuba.

I'm still planning to go, and hoping I don't run into any problems with airlines, visa, etc.

• Members
On 11/14/2017 at 5:08 AM, torogen said:

The government released some clarification about the banned businesses list. It is meant as a ban on direct dealings with those businesses. So, for instance, if you are at a restaurant that is not on the list, you don't have to worry what kind of rum the bartender is putting in your mojito. You just can't visit one of the two banned distilleries and buy a bottle of rum. And in truth it seems like the regulations are mostly targeting businesses that might be investing in Cuba, to discourage US companies from partnering with certain businesses (or even certain shopping districts) in Cuba.

I'm still planning to go, and hoping I don't run into any problems with airlines, visa, etc.

I like your stride.  Go!  Enjoy!  and please report back here for those of us who've been and are planning to return as well as "first timers."