likeohmygod

Rio's Favelas - Check this map before adventuring into the city.

• Members

Rio de Janeiro has more than 700 favelas. Most of them are in the Zona Norte, but there are many even in the trendy Zona Sul. Doing long and random walks by yourself without knowing where you should never go, it's a BAD idea. The general concept that the sketchiness of the buildings and surroundings around you is directly proportional to the danger of the area you're walking in, is always valid.

So...have a look at these maps (which are Google Maps overlaps), which show many (not all) of the favelas in Rio de Janeiro. It is not reliable when it comes to "who's in charge of the favela" (because it's based on 2009 data), but it is very accurate when it comes to size and position of the favela.

Remember...even outside favelas, be safe, follow the rules described in this forum and never do stupid things.

These maps are unofficial and should only be used to get an idea about what is the layout of the city, concerning favelas. 

CENTRO, TIJUCA, MEIER

https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1RiniavXziYABzmTcmv9THvLClys&hl=pt-BR

LEOPOLDINA

https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1BvRYg24NcHKIbpZ_ZbtZ3EisXdo&hl=pt-BR

ZONA SUL

https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1F2Mse1IzhIxhVibqf6YPti1CFUk&hl=pt-BR

BARRA DA TIJUCA

https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1AmANYo6pcl6QZa2it4jFF1H8TzQ&hl=pt-BR

BANGU

https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1MySHEc8-JWtU11T8YONO2qErEMM&hl=pt-BR

Source: http://favelascariocas.blogspot.it/

• Members

Today's Wall Street Journal:

Rio Police Killing of Spaniard Spotlights Perils of Slum Tourism

A fatal police shooting in Rio recently of a Spanish woman who was taking a guided favela tour is a potent reminder of their perils at a time of resurgent violence in this world-famous city.

(The Journal is a subscription outlet.)

• Members
13 hours ago, Lucky said:

A fatal police shooting in Rio recently of a Spanish woman who was taking a guided favela tour is a potent reminder of their perils at a time of resurgent violence in this world-famous city.

Wow. 

I’m a (fairly) risk-averse adventurous guy who enjoys chilling with locals. But I don’t think I’d feel comfortable at all doing a walking or driving favela tour in Rocinha. There are other, safer favelas open to outsiders. Nearby Vidigal has homes recently bought by Madonna and David Beckham.

“O Globo identified her as Ruiz who was riding with her sister Rosa Margarita Martinez in a Fiat with other tourists. The newspaper also reported that the driver, an Italian living in Brazil for the past four years, said he didn't hear any order to stop or see a police barrier.”

• Members

I took a walking tour of a favela several years ago. There were just a handful of us, and our guide stopped at a big house near the entrance and paid a fee for us to enter, or else to guarantee our safety. Not a single resident acknowledged us in any way, but the tour was quite interesting. Some homes were really constructed of scrap. I was surprised how clean many of them were, although in retrospect I shouldn't have been. It was a fascinating tour and I had no idea that the police might shoot me.

• Members
On 10/31/2017 at 12:01 PM, Lucky said:

I took a walking tour of a favela several years ago. There were just a handful of us, and our guide stopped at a big house near the entrance and paid a fee for us to enter, or else to guarantee our safety. Not a single resident acknowledged us in any way, but the tour was quite interesting. Some homes were really constructed of scrap. I was surprised how clean many of them were, although in retrospect I shouldn't have been. It was a fascinating tour and I had no idea that the police might shoot me.

Which favela? Some are much safer than others. 

On 10/31/2017 at 12:01 PM, Lucky said:

Key thing you said was several years ago....Things have dramatically changed in Rio based on the economy...

And it is relative to which favela that you were in....some of very calm and "gentrified"  some aren't

• Members

I am sorry, but I cannot remember the name of the favela. I might add that we did not go all the way to the top.  That's where the gangs make their home, and we weren't welcome there. Still, I felt that I saw a great deal, and they did emphasize that some favelas were more dangerous than others. This one was no country club.

• Members
On 10/31/2017 at 9:01 AM, Lucky said:

In 2002 I took my favela tour with Marcelo Armstrong's company.  There were only six of us, I being the only man from the US; the others were from various parts of Europe.  We were driven to two or three favelas then walked.  I shall always remember, and I was NOT fearful at all. 

A few years later I took another favela tour and didn't like because the leaders were on some religious bent which turned me off from the beginning.

...would perhaps have to give much thought and consider the risks in today's climate!

On 10/30/2017 at 2:39 PM, Lucky said:

A quote from Trump: "She knew what she signed up for."

• Members

I went together with a friend with a guide to the Rocinha favela. We were only 2 with the guide and spend the whole morning travelling down the favella. The Guide knew everyone and people were rather friendly. A good experience. Explanations were rather amazing  particularly about the localization of the the drug dealers. It was my second trip to a favely. First one was with a Brasilian friend in 2012 in a much smaller favela. Lots of armed people with kalachnikov there.