Guest mrb43

Residency Question

I am a full-time resident of California.

I plan to retire in a few years and want to spend winter in Palm Springs and the remainder of the year in either Mexico or Brasil.

Can anyone tell me how long I minimally need to reside in Palm Springs in order not to jeopardize my US Citizen status?

Thank you guys.

• Members
3 hours ago, msclelovr said:

I agree the issue will be taxes. But I thought that while you retain US citizenship  you remain liable to pay US tax on your worldwide income, even if you do reside abroad for long periods.

No, taxes don't go by citizenship but residence. Many US citizens are living abroad and don't pay US tax and many non-citizens resident here do pay tax. But I think to be a foreign resident you generally have to continually reside in that foreign country for at least six continuous months and meet a whole list of other often subjective criteria. Even if someone gets through that the exemption is pro-rated and many types of income are considered US-generated and taxable. 

They make it very hard for individuals. Not so much for corporations. 

• Members

I don't mean to be quarrelsome @tassojunior, but I checked and my statement is correct.

"If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gifttax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in theUnited States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside."

Source: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayers-living-abroad