Guest MonkeySee

Stonewall Event in Asia?

Guest MonkeySee

Will Asia have a “Stonewall” event?

Shinen Wong contemplates the police raids of gay venues in Malaysia the other weekend and the riots at Stonewall Inn in New York City in 1969, which is today seen as one of the most significant milestones in the history of the global LGBT rights movement.

Read the entire article at: http://www.fridae.com/newsfeatures/article...p;viewarticle=1

Guest MonkeySee
Fraid not, if you are referring to Malaysia. There are simply too many vested interests for that to happen.

Xian

You are probably right. Things are changing in Asia, though. Nepal's supreme court is coming down with a ruling in favor of homosexuals. India is also in the process of changing their outdated laws concerning gays. Maybe Malaysia will come around in the not too distant future?

Guest xiandarkthorne

Not-too-distant future? Like 4008 AD? Sorry, but not even remotely likely, Monkey. Like I said, there are too many vested interests concerned. Since I live here, I am afraid I can't go into detail about that, but the fact that I can't should speak volumes already, right?

Guest MonkeySee
Not-too-distant future? Like 4008 AD? Sorry, but not even remotely likely, Monkey. Like I said, there are too many vested interests concerned. Since I live here, I am afraid I can't go into detail about that, but the fact that I can't should speak volumes already, right?

We never know what the future will hold. I try to be optimistic. Who would have thought thirty years ago, that the US would have a black man as president?

Guest xiandarkthorne
We never know what the future will hold. I try to be optimistic. Who would have thought thirty years ago, that the US would have a black man as president?

True...but it was always a case of "when" and not "if" wasn't it? In the case of a Malaysian Stonewall, I am afraid the latter option isn't even likely.

Xian