likeohmygod

Brazil...do not overstay your visa!

• Members

This might look something which the most of us would probably not even think to do. But it can happen.

US citizens need a regular tourist visa. One of my best friends (who lives in Texas) came back from SP after staying for 12 days more than he was allowed to. When he went at the airport to catch is flight back to the US the police holded his passport requiring him to pay for a fine which is something like R$8 (2.5 USD) for each day of overstay. Not a big deal of course.

The problem is that they will place on your passport a big stamp saying that you did not respect the visa policy. This means 2 things:

1) A 180 days long exile from Brazil (not a huge problem)

2) Big troubles with next visas requests, even for other countries beside Brazil.

So do not overstay.

I'd be interested what happens when he arrives in Brasil on his next trip....

They almost always give 3 months on entry. But one time I was going to be in Brasil for nearly of the 3 months, had flights/rooms booked in various cities. When I entered, the immigration officer said I'll give you 10 days! I argued, politely back and forth for about 5 minutes until he finally gave up and gave me the 3 months. 

So, immigration (in any country) has total option once you arrive at their border....Brasil especially loves to fuck (reciprocate) whatever other countries do to their citizens....remember the cameras and fingerprints, or when they were sending people back to Spain when they arrived, lol