likeohmygod

Brazil and conversion therapy?

• Members

This might look a stupid topic, and probably it's not even something serious...but in the internet i am reading the same news but with many different tones.

It happened that a federal court in Brazil re-enabled conversion therapies, treating gay people as disturbed people. This is confusing me, since Brazil is one of the countries with full LGBT rights, including adoption and marriage.

How much of this is true and/or serious?

Will this have consequences on the garotos scenario?

Guest bobbalino

Well, full LGBT rights means to some that a misguided homosexual can seek out conversion therapy. Always could from one quack or other. The psychologist denounced by the relevant body there exercised her right to appeal federally to a judge who exercised his right to pander to her beliefs (mirrored by his). 

So what? It's an elective procedure. The conservatives obviously need another iteration of epic fails to reach pre-judgement baseline.  Not great news but will not affect the sex trade economy.

Rights on paper does not equal protection in reality. Gays in Brazil are routinely targets of hate crimes including homicide. 

Guest bobbalino

As I understand it, reversion therapy is not illegal (eg, misdemeanor) federally or in any state in Brazil. The licensing body of Psychologists rightfully had banned its use. That is a professional body. Mayor Crivella's church had been advocating far more outrageous excorcisms with impunity. Your neighborhood psychologist cannot do it and maintain pro status?, go to gay away camp, your dentist, what have you. 

This situation is not dissimilar to, say, the APA in the USA that takes a similar stance on certain non empirically supported treatments but where many states have no laws restricting its (aka conversion therapy) application. Then there are different statutes protecting minors. 

The federal Brazilian judge supported an alternate view in order to reverse professional, not governmental sanctions, on the appellant. It is not clear whether he believes it an illness or whether he supports the autonomy of professionals in conjunction with their clients, particularly as there are fine lines among religion, culture, and practices. 

The judge did not make anything legal or illegal that had been the opposite ... anyway I am not a lawyer but just basing my ideas on what was written.

I think this is too complex for this forum. Hype and parsimony over detail and accuracy in journalism reporting muddies the waters too much.

The majority of GPs value money over religion, or reconcile their work with their Xtianity. I doubt many of them have a clue about this theme. Anyway, what happens when one judge bans Whatsapp? Another overturns it. 

• Members

I feel that the influence of evangelical/fundamentalist churches is growing in Brazil. Also I suspect that most visitors to the country have a rose-tinted vision of gay life there; it's not as tolerant and open as the beaches of Rio may suggest.