Tomcal

Hot topic

I would bet none of these where in the tourist zone of Rio!  I have gone to Chicago many times for business,  never saw or came close to a crime because I don't frequent the areas where the vast majority occurs, same as I do in Rio!  No matter where you go, it's about being smart about your surroundings and limiting the chances of something negative happening to you!   I also frequented NYC many times in the last 80's and 90's when Hell's Kitchen was the opposite of the upscale area it is now, and never had any problems.

IMG_8681.PNG

• Members

It is impressive but i really think that those numbers need to be properly discussed as you said.

In South America you have places (like favelas in the north of Rio de Janeiro) which are like Saturn and that unlikely in the rest of the world, they're well marked and well separated from the rest of the city. You cannot go there, they're a completely different reality, they have parallel laws, and therefore they compromise the true purpose of these statistics. I cannot find the article, but something like 85% of the homicides in Rio, happened inside the most dangerous favelas, and mostly involved drug dealers.

Anyway in 2015 in Sao Paulo (12,000,000 people), there were 650 homicides.

In Rio de Janeiro (6,500,000 people), same year...1370 deaths.

In Chicago (2,700,000 people) 460 homicides in the same year.

• Members

My first night in Rio, some 20 years ago, there was a dead body on the beach sidewalk near the J. W. Marriott. It was covered in a black tarp, and a long item still stuck in it. Otherwise, no police or authorities were around. It was the last murder I observed in Rio.

On 9/12/2017 at 6:22 PM, Tomcal said:

I would bet none of these where in the tourist zone of Rio!  I have gone to Chicago many times for business,  never saw or came close to a crime because I don't frequent the areas where the vast majority occurs, same as I do in Rio!  No matter where you go, it's about being smart about your surroundings and limiting the chances of something negative happening to you!   I also frequented NYC many times in the last 80's and 90's when Hell's Kitchen was the opposite of the upscale area it is now, and never had any problems.

IMG_8681.PNG

Thanks for sharing this....Brazil is dangerous if you are not paying attention to what is going on around you and especially if you understand no Portuguese...I think being in the states, we can automatically tell when we are in a part of a city where we should not be or may be considered dangerous based on our surroundings...

The murders and other dangers that happen in Rio don't just happen in the favelas...I have my boyfriends that live in Rio tell me all the time that it is dangerous and they dont hang out in certain areas at night

This girl is Brazilian but lives in the US and was with her BRAZILIAN family when she was shot in the car....This is just one of the reasons I am always aware of my surroundings and don't venture into places I am not aware of...except for the time I wanted to be a hoe and went to Villa Mimosa by myself....not the smartest move

Just always make smart decisions and DO NOT let your dick or ass lead you into something that may be dangerous or cause you harm....

Guest bobbalino

We have been over this before. Several Caribbean vacay destinations exceed Brazil by rate per capita ... at least the hyperbole about BRZ keeps us wary and prudently cautious.