Guest MonkeySee

Stem Cells

Guest MonkeySee

I heard on a CNN newcast, that there has been a medical breakthrough. A team of doctors from three nations were able to grow a windpipe from a women's bone marrow stem cells and sucessfully transplant it into the lung of the same women. I am sure it is an expensive procedure. Next thing you know they will be growing organs to transplant. What do you think?

Guest Steve1903

I think this is a massive story. I'm surprised it's been fairly low key overall in the media. The cost of the treatment is undoubtedly high like every new medical advance but when they can start to do this for all kinds of organs its really a huge step forward in medical science. Well done them.

Guest MonkeySee
While it'd be nice that we will live to see major advances using stem cells, it probably isn't that likely.

But you got me thinking about whether my stem cells can enlarge a certain stem that I have.....

I am sure with enough time and money, the docs will try anything. The downside might be the pain you have to go through to harvest your bone marrow. I have heard it is a big needle and quite painful.