Guest bobbalino

Rio Metro card ...

Guest bobbalino

I will attach pic of the integrated loadable card for subway, Light rail transit, and bus. I do not use the bus.

I do this explanation cuz there are various card versions.

This card costs just short of 8 reais and is purchased at a machine that spits it out. The machine does not provide change. Use a 5 and two 2 bills and lose the 1. Or use various combos of bills/coins.

You cannot buy the card at all stations. I buy mine at the Cinelandia outdoor kiosk on the LRT platform. There are staff there to assist. Staff inside the subway tend to be stuck behind glass. They also do not load the cards with credit. Machines only. Cinelandia is close to me and I am often there to use the LRT anyway.

Similarly, there is no change possible from currency you insert to load the card. I load high cuz I visit Rio often ... no loss there.

Good luck finding online the stations where you can load the cards. You can investigate in your districts ... trial and error.

Similarly at the Cinelandia kiosk, I use bills to load this card. Debit/credit always crashes.  

Subway deducts 4.10 per ride; LRT 3.90 ... for this card, you do not transfer between the two at no additional charge. The card is integrated but these two transport modes are not. Only on the LRT can you read your credit balance.

Tourists or locals, please correct me if inaccurate.

On the Metro, tap the card to release the turnstile. On the LRT tap the card on a reader after you enter. Staff come thru to audit your payment, so keep your card available. There are LRT police who fine 170.00 on the spot if they think you tried to cheat.

For Subway exclusively, I often just pay the teller 4.10 cash for a single ride card. That way, I conserve the loaded dual purpose card credit and less often need to leave Gloria whenever I need to add card credit.

There are turnstiles specific to the various card modalities,

Happy local Rio trails.